ID, however, tries to give "God did it" as the ultimate answer.
I must have a totally different idea of what Intelligent Design is than you do. My understanding is that it simply means there was an intelligence at work when everything was started... Not that the answer to everything is “God did it”. That sounds more like far right winger fundamentalists (not necessarily Christians only) that don’t won’t to accept any science what-so-ever. Heck the ‘intelligence’ could have been aliens from Krypton for all we know.

And as for Flying Spaghetti Monsters... Let people believe what they will... Everyone has that right.

Wikipedia says this about intelligent design: is the concept that "certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection. I believe the first part of this statement... not the second. And I’d bet to say that many others believe that way, too. (And remember that wikipedia is not always ‘fair’ in it’s assessments. It’s written by anyone who so desires to add to it. I’ve even seen incidents of them locking certain sections because of controversy.) So perhaps I do misunderstand what is meant by intelligent design. I simply believe that a superior being (god, aliens, or whatever you want to call it) had a hand in the whole thing. I don’t believe that rules out natural selection or evolution. In my previous thread, I mentioned an instructor:
I once had a very wise professor in college who said that the more he found out about biology, genetics, etc, that the more he believed in God.
I also had another instructor who said: How do we know that God didn't plan for evolution to happen?

As I said in another thread, I think the biggest problem that some people have about teaching evolution etc. is that it is not taught as a theory. I have no problem with that being taught… but I want it made clear that it is partly still a theory and not that everything about it is an absolute fact. And as an alternative, I wouldn’t want kids taught that it’s absolute fact that there *is* intelligent design. I see nothing wrong with teaching kids about both sides of this. And throw in some spaghetti monsters to boot…

Scientifically, we can't prove that gravity exists. There's a lot of empirical evidence for it.
Exactly. This is why kids need to also be told that evolution cannot be proven. Some schools teach it as a fact.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~