Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Isn't Industrial Lights and Magic (or whatever Lucas's company called) somewhere around there? Or was that part of the package deal sold to Disney? Good luck, Mouse!
Sort of... all of Lucasfilm's companies (including ILM and Skywalker Ranch) are located in the San Francisco area or Marin county, which is about 2 1/2 hours away from where I live (1 and 1/2 hours from the heart of Sacramento) depending on traffic, which isn't altogether that bad of drive time (I used to make it a few days every week until I transferred). I actually knew several people who worked there and/or had connections-- which was awesome!-- until Disney bought Lucasfilm. Now they technically own all of their subsidiaries (along with about 50% of the movie industry entirely :rolleyes: ) and are currently in the process of laying off about, oh, 300-or-so employees who spent their lives working at Lucas, and giving their jobs to Disney employees. I'm not quite sure what they're doing with ILM specifically, since it is more of a visual effects company, but I'm sure they'll find a way to stick their fingers in that too. grumble Whether or not any of the businesses will stay based out of SF, I don't know yet.

I mean, I love Disney, but they're just about two steps away from controlling the entire universe as we know it. I'm always surprised when people don't realize how much they actually own the rights to.

Oh, and thanks! blush

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain