Currently, I'm a "Stay-at-Home Mom", so I chose "other". I'm not a "Home-maker" because I'm not here to make a "home" but because it's pointless to pay strangers my entire income to ignore my children for 8 hours. My youngest heads off to school in September, so I'll be heading back to work, at least part time. Since graduating from college almost 20 years ago, I've worked retail (mostly), in a bank (trust department), as an admin assistant, and as an office manager. I'm hoping to get a job at the local liberal arts college (as a Classics major, anthropology minor, I have no discernible "job skills" other than work-ethic and thinking), so I may be able to have my summers semi-free. Otherwise, I'd have to quit to look after my kids again, because there's no way I'd dump them in the city's "camp" or at the Y because neither has any real supervision of the kids, and I love my kids more than any job I'm likely to get. I don't want to work at the public schools, because, frankly, after spending the last 8+ years around kids, I'm ready for some adult interaction.

I'd rather not go the retail route again, but I know that the job market doesn't look favorably on women who raise their own children at home, and who don't Facebook or Twitter. :rolleyes: Luckily, I'm not too proud to take a job below my skill level. Personally, I'd prefer an office job to being on my feet all day, trying to convince people to buy stuff they really don't want or need.

My dream job: getting paid for my writing, but I'd have to finish writing my LnC stories and get back to writing original stories. I'd be able to work from home and set my own hours. Sigh.

If I had to live my life over again, I'd probably have taken a "trade" skill in college, like "script writing" or "culinary arts". While I learned a lot at college, and I do well at Trivial Pursuit (the old version, don't ask me anything that's happened in the last 10 years, because, frankly, I don't care). College wasn't worth the price-tag, especially since I don't ever plan on going to graduate school or get a teaching degree. Being a librarian would be the only degree worth holding my interest, but since books are sadly becoming a thing of the past on a more daily basis (and I live in a small town with more librarians than the ever shrinking library budget), I might as well just throw my money into an endless pit than purse it.

At least I'm not bitter. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.