When I was ten, I started in the same class as this boy and girl. She quickly became one of my two best friends, and he was nice, too. It very soon became obvious that he liked her. She didn't dislike him or anything, but her response to him was cooler than he would have wished, I'm sure. Well, the three of us went to school together for nine more years. At last, when we were nineteen, the girl, Inger, told me that she was finally getting a little interested in the boy, Peter. (He had staunchly loved her, and no one but her, all throughout his teens.) After a couple of years they moved in together, and after a few more years they got married. They have been together ever since, and they have three sons. I can't remember how long they've been married, but I certainly think of them as having been together all their adult lives. Inger will turn 51 two weeks from now, and later this year, Peter and I will, too. As for Peter, well, since you aren't likely to meet him anyway, I'll tell you that if you ask me, he was a virgin the first time he and Inger made love. Talk about being a very patient man - Clark, you've got nothing on Peter!

So I guess when he had finally managed to win her, Peter was prepared to put up with *a lot* from Inger. One of the things he had to put up with was Inger's habit of bringing an empty pillowcase with her to bed. (I'm telling you this because you aren't likely to meet Inger, either, but you would like her if you did! And Peter, too.) Anyway, Inger would scrunch up this pillowcase and suck and chew on it at night. (And I'm not absolutely sure she got a new, fresh one every night, either. In fact, I think perhaps she didn't. I know that for many years, the "used" smell of this piece of cloth was one of those things that relaxed her and helped her fall asleep!) I gather that after a few years, though, Peter had had enough, and I know for a fact that the empty pillowcases are gone now... wink

Ann