I had to vote other because it wasn't clear whether the description was only talking about real life or fiction or both. To me, the soulmates concept is a fictional, mythical, romantic shorthand for something we wish was true in real life but don't always see come to fruition. And even in fiction, it's an ideal but it's an extremely powerful ideal when used effectively, which is both part of its charm and appeal and cause for a certain degree of negativity that many feel about it.

The thing is that in fiction, whatever its form, an "author" can create two characters to be soulmates for one another. Or they can create two people who could grow into soulmates if they are given half a chance. (That last being the main reason why some stories become triumphs rather than the more classical tragedy. wink ) That "creator" can literally balance their strengths and weaknesses against one aother. And so the battle or dance begins. How long it lasts is again up to the author.

So, if we're talking fiction, as far as I'm concerned, sure soulmates can happen. That's not the issue related to this topic that fascinates me, however. Personally, what I hate is to have it pounded into my head that two characters are soulmates. Maybe that's partly because as a longtime romance reader, that's pretty much a given in just about every romantic story. Otherwise what's the point?

Instead, I'd much rather get to go along for the ride and see the pair discover not that they automatically are soulmates the second they meet but that they could be if they work at it hard enough. And basically that's what Lois & Clark did. It took an established myth where everyone already assumes these two characters are soulmates, or at least should be or could be, and let us see a very real "human" struggle on their part towards that reality.

Now, that's romance at its most basic. smile

BevBB :-)
"B. B. Medos"