This is something I've wondered about for a long time.

In most other fandoms, even if there is a main pairing there are still people who "shipped" other characters.

For example, in "Roswell" the main pairings were Max/Liz and Michael/Marie. However, there were people who thought Max/Tess, Michael/Liz or Alex/Marie were better couples and you had lots of fanfics or fanart devoted to those "unconventional" pairings.

This is standard for most fandoms I've seen.

In the Lois & Clark fandom it's pretty much Lois & Clark. Any fanfic that isn't about these two is usually about who Lois and or Clark was with before they realized they were meant for each other or another couple entirely (Jonathan/Martha).

Reading some of the responses lynnm has gotten for The Butterfly Legacy made me wonder about how FoLCs feel about unconventional ships involving either Lois or Clark.

"Let us remember that there is a creative force in this universe, working to pull down the gigantic mountains of evil, a power that is able to make a way out of no way and trasform dark yesterdays into bright tomorrows. Let us realize the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.