I suspect that TE fans would object to this, considering that it spoils, at least partly, the surprise, but the idea behind my suggestion is to make the use of the TE thread less of a chore for those of us who are fed up to the back teeth with that same, unwelcome surprise
In all honesty, Phil, it's quiet easy to tell when the TE subject has been up dated ...

The date and time of the last post made to any given tread is visiable without actually clicking inside the topic.

Example, from the Fanfic Forum:

Topic: Comments - Medical Miracles 12 (13/14)
Topis Starter: Xanabee
Number of replies: 3
Date/time of last post: May 16, 2003 08:17 AM
Who posted it, which is a hyperlink: by TriciaW

That hyperlink will take you to that specific post.

When you see the thread has been updated, then you know there's a TE somewhere. For those who don't want to be spoiled, then they can have some fun trying to find it, for those who really don't want to know, click on the name of the admin who posted the warning and it will take you that very post to let you know which fic has the TE. That's two, maybe three extra clicks. We can make sure that the topic doesn't get too long over time for those on 56k modems.

As Labby pointed out, yes those not wanting the TEs are the only one's making a compromise, but your statement wanting them gone altogether is not an acceptable solution, and there really is no way for those wanting to be surprise to compromise that element ... and someone has to compromise as we are unable to please everyone and I don't expect to here.

We are more than willing to help resolve this. If you come up with some other suggestion, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to discuss it.

Annette wink
Boards Chief Administrator

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993