Tank Endings are surprise/sneaky endings to stories, usually in which death and destruction ensue on a large scale. Some people love them, and love being surprised by them. Others really hate being caught by surprise. We've talked before about posting a TE with a warning attached... except that spoils the surprise. However, those who detest the whole idea should have some way to avoid the trick parts...

I've come up with a scheme that I think might work -- a separate thread for TE warnings. It'd work like this:

1. Author A is ready to post a really evil ending.
2. Author A sends a short note to the message board admins letting them know about it.
3. One of the admins updates the warning thread with either a new post, or an edit to an existing post
4. Author A posts the evil ending
5. Reader B (who hates TEs) checks the warning thread, sees that there's a TE in the works, and can decide whether or not to read it.
6. Reader C (who loves TEs) ignores the thread, and is taken by surprise.

There are still details to be worked out, but that's the basic idea. We just need to know if you guys think it's worth the effort to set it up.

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K