Let's see... that morning, I was at church, at a meeting for stay-at-home moms. It was the first meeting of the new school year. Perfectly unremarkable... and then the cell phones started ringing. One of the ladies there was a military wife, and had only recently transferred from the Pentagon. She was frantic. The meeting broke up early; I collected my 2-year-old daughter from the nursery and drove home. The radio was on to the news channel. I had to keep telling myself that I didn't need to go get my son from preschool -- a preschool in North Carolina was probably not on their target list. But we didn't have any idea how many more attacks there would be.

I remember hearing on the radio that a plane had crashed in Pennsylvania; I just knew that it had been a foiled attack.

I am ashamed to say I was not glued to the television all day. That was too horrible to watch; I couldn't do it. Most of the day, actually, I was online -- they took the password off the IRC channel and invited everyone.

I did call the Red Cross around lunch time, though, and made an appointment to donate blood at 4:30pm. Turns out to have been a good thing; I got to skip a hugely long line. There just didn't seem to be anything else I could do.

I couldn't decide, that day, whether I was glad that my kids were too young (4 and 2) to understand what was happening, or sad that they would never remember a world where this sort of thing simply didn't happen. Both, probably.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K