So it seems like there's quite a lot of patriotism around, but it's not always expressed in song. I can get why "sing this or else!" would take the fun out of patriotic music. :p

those with the smarts and talent to write a good song praising Swedish culture know that that sort of thing isn't done, and those who don't give two hoots about good manners aren't talented enough to write such a song.
That made me chuckle, Ann -- I guess we've got a lot of people who don't give two hoots about good manners ("well, I'm a redneck woman , I ain't no high-class broad..." goofy ) but still seem talented enough to get on the radio... that song isn't specifically about America, granted, but it's specifically about one particular region / subculture of American society. We have lots of songs that include lines about our country or flag , even when the song's mostly about something else.

We also have lots of songs about God & church , (not the kind of song you'd sing *in* church, mind you) and I know that's somewhat unusual.

There's lots more examples but I can't recall them at the moment, and I'm really supposed to be doing something else right now, so... I'll leave it at that smile

Thanks everybody for the world-tour! It was really interesting. I especially enjoyed the pictures smile

PJ
who, ten years ago, would not have been caught *dead* listening to country music goofy But that was when I thought it was all "Oh, my woman left and my dog died and my truck's broke, woe is me..." whinging which it totally isn\'t . laugh

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K