Hey all, this is something I've been curious for a long time. I never quite know how to phrase it, but I'll try.

In American country music, there are a lot of songs about, well, America. "Proud to be an American," "Only in America," etc. There's a large audience for that sort of patriotic, love-our-country music. (There's also a large audience who would rather listen to dentist drills than country music, but that's beside the point. wink ) Do other countries have this?

I honestly don't know. I would have assumed so, but I've heard otherwise. You all are the most international group I know, so I thought I'd ask the non-Americans here -- are there any popular songs about how great your country is? Your region? Your culture? I'm not talking about national anthems, but songs that would play on the radio just because people enjoy hearing them.

I'm not interested in debating the relative merits of countries, btw, so let's try not to go there. I'm just interested in relative patriotic feeling among the populations. Getting all emotional about my country is normal for me, but I suspect that would be seen as nationalism and a Very Bad Thing in some circles. So... just wondering.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K