So, we went downtown to the courthouse -- had to go through a metal detector to get in, which Michael thought was cool -- and then up to the 7th floor. The juvenile court counselor (JCC) was really nice & understanding. I'd made copies of lots of paperwork, so I gave her all that. She interviewed Michael (he shared that he liked his sister "sometimes") and we told her about the IEP meeting we'd had Wednesday.

One thing was clarified -- upon Michael's second incident (the laptop grabbing thing), the school actually did contact the SRO (cop on campus) who consulted with the JCC, who told him not to do anything about it, since there was already something underway. Which explains the inconsistency in treatment; I had been assuming that the second incident hadn't been referred to the SRO at all. Now I'm glad I didn't try to make an issue of it in the IEP meeting.

We mentioned thinking about trying to educate the SRO... the JCC indicated that would be a good idea. smile

We told her about the new & improved BIP, with the point sheet, and social skills training, etc. We said that we were going to request a new psychological evaluation of Michael, since it had been last done in 2003, but the school wasn't too keen on that idea. We told her about taking Michael to the neurologist to work on his insomnia & panic attacks. We explained that once he gets to a certain point, rational thought disappears and he only reacts; a big part of the school plan is focused on stopping him from getting to that point. She took lots of notes.

At one point, Michael asked for a blank sheet of paper. She asked if he liked to draw, and he said he liked to fold. We watched him turn one piece of paper into a little kite and a cube.

She said she didn't think this should go before a judge. Instead, they have what they call a "diversion contract" which is a plan to be followed for up to six months. Kind of like being on parole, but not quite as binding. The terms of the contract are that Michael should work with the plan we'd agreed on with the school two days ago, that we should check in with her from time to time, and that Michael needed to make her a piece of origami art. He said he'd email it to her wink

She asked us if we wanted to add anything, and we said, well, the school doesn't seem too eager to do a whole new analysis on him. She added that recommendation to the contract laugh It's not court-mandated, but it's court-highly-recommended. And if we have any problems with the school not living up to their side of the bargain, we should call her, and *she* would pressure them. God is so good. smile

We had worried so much about this... but it's all good. And I love the idea of being able to use the court against the school... should the need arise. Maybe the next time, they won't just wait to "see what happens" with another autistic kid.

So, we work with her and this contract for up to six months, and if things are going well, she declares the contract completed, and then shreds all the documents, so this won't be coming back to haunt him later. He's not been convicted of any crimes.

We went out to dinner to celebrate!

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K