I would certainly like to get Michael away from that teacher. There was another incident today. They were all supposed to be writing (typing) an essay. Michael didn't know how to start, and the software was apparently acting up on him. So he decided to play Pokemon on the web, instead. Bad choice on his part. The teacher noticed and according to the school, she gave him a warning and another five minutes before coming back. Michael doesn't remember the warning. When she came back and saw him still playing, she told him to stop and immediately yanked the laptop away. Meltdown time. In the ensuing fracas, she says he slapped her on the wrist. He's been suspended for another two days.

(Not that I'm complaining, but I find it interesting that this incident -- including an allegation of direct contact -- was treated less seriously than the one two weeks ago, with the piece of paper. As far as I know, the police haven't been called in on this one.)

Anyway, not only is she his homeroom teacher, and his language arts teacher, she *also* teaches 1st period health class! Which is where the incident happened this time. I seriously want him out of that situation. Before he even goes back to school I want to have a long talk with that teacher. According to school officials, she's had training on autism. I told them it didn't work. My advocate/friend thinks we need to see documentation of said "training." And in any case, I don't know that training would help, since she seems pretty rigid. I wonder if she gets into shoving matches with any of her other students.

Wendy, I think I found that page through wrightslaw.com -- good site. We don't live very near Charlotte, I think it's a two hour drive. I've been in contact with Disability Rights, NC, although at this stage they're sticking with dispensing advice. I've also contacted the Duke Children's Law clinic, for low-income families, and they say they'll be in touch. They won't touch the justice-system side of things, but I really do want to have a lawyer at the next IEP meeting. And the sooner that meeting is held, the better.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K