Originally posted by ChiefPam:
And... regulations? There are laws in Germany about which names you can give your kid?? That's really ... different from here. We get people making up names all the time (although apparently a lot of people still like "Rachel") and all you have to do is spell it correctly (whichever spelling you choose) on the birth certificate.

PJ
Well, yes. First of all, each child needs one name that is definitely female (for girls) or definitely male (for boys). Since some names can be used for both genders (like Toni), people who wanted to call their child that would need a middle name that is unique for the child's gender. Obviously, somewhere there must be a list of names appropriate for both from which you have to choose, although I've never seen such a list. Although, if you are from another country and can prove that the name you want to call your child is common in your home country *and* only available for one gender, an exception will be made. *sigh*

Next thing is something that has been brought up to court several times, and last thing I know, the number of names you can give a child is limited to five. (Who needs that many names, anyway?)

Anyway, our choices got accepted without even a raised eyebrow. laugh As I said, we were lucky, considering a friend got trouble with naming her daughter Ashley Virginia... huh

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)