Congrats from me, too. But good advice? Uh, I think it's a good idea to participate in Lamaze (and other, pregnancy-related) classes. Not because the pain is lessened (I wouldn't know about that because I wasn't there), but because it's a great networking opportunity. The mothers there will be the same mothers you will meet in kindergarten or at school meetings, and it is of great advantage if you already have a friend there before you get started.

Another tip (about cravings): They might be crazy, but just go with them. I remember the time where I felt the need to actually lick salt from my finger several times a day. When I asked my ob/gyn about it, he said not to worry about salt, if I got too much into my system, my kidneys and an extra glass of water would take care of it. (Which is why I didn't need to worry about swollen legs or high blood pressure. I had the swollen legs anyway, but not because of the salt.)

Best of all: All mothers like to torture pregnant women - especially first-timers like you - with horrid tales about everything from morning sickness to extra painful deliveries. Just grin - and take it easy. It won't be that bad, anyway.

About episiotomy: Yes, it is uncomfortable and tends to itch when healing - but if you tear, it's worse because the healing takes longer. Way longer. And believe me, you can tear all around the vagina, which can be highly painful for weeks to come. (Been there, done that...) Frankly, should I ever get pregnant again, I'd actually ask for an episiotomy, controversy be damned.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)