This is just an aside, but if memory serves the significance of the date “2012” has nothing to do with Nostradamus.

Again, if memory serves (and people more inclined to research might be able to correct me on this) the 2012 issue is based upon several things including the Mayan calendar. The Mayan calendar as I understand it is a mathematically complex system that is much more accurate that the calendar the modern world uses today. It also inexplicably ends in 2012 (sometime in December I think) with a highly accurate occurrence of calculation being unable to calculate any higher (again, anyone with better knowledge can feel free to correct me). This has led to speculation as to the significance of this date being a doomsday of sorts.

As to the scientific issues related to this, I believe that there have been a few noted scientists that have arrived separately at similar conclusions through different methods. I think one noted that the Earth and Sun would be aligned with the galactic center on that date, another calculated that our solar system would actually be aligned with the horizontal galactic plane and yet another using ancient texts which mentioned a “tenth planet” as noted by astronomers in the past to speculate about a “rogue” planet with an irregular orbit that would intersect with our solar system at that time causing environmental upheavals if not out right destruction.

I’m not sure what everyone expects to happen in 2012 and I’m not a big believer in doomsday scenarios per say, but as I understand it there actually is some scientific basis that “something” will happen so I just wanted to mention that. smile

As others above have mentioned, just because some scientists believe something is true doesn't make it so. Then again, until 2013 I don't guess I can really say it isn't either. wink

Did is a word of achievement
Won't is a word of retreat
Might is a word of bereavement
Can't is a word of defeat
Ought is a word of duty
Try is a word of each hour
Will is a word of beauty
Can is a word of power

--Author Unknown