I think it is more than reasonable to see the Earth as a patient that is growing ever sicker because of the effects of passive smoking.
Well... I guess we can't argue with that.

Actually, while I was googling, I did come across mention of a greenhouse gas that sounded very alarming. Ever heard of DHMO?

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year.
# is also known as hydric acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
# is a potent solvent that can, over time, dissolve virtually anything.
# has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
# can cause severe burns.
# contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
# accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
# may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
# is known to be an appetite and libido suppressant.
It is often used
# as an industrial solvent and coolant.
# in nuclear power plants.
# in the production of harmful chemicals.
# as a fire retardant.
# in many forms of animal research.
# in the distribution of pesticides.
# as a potent preservative to keep grocery store produce looking fresh and appetizing.
# as an ingredient in baby and infant products, especially formulas.
Companies routinely dump waste DHMO into oceans and rivers, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. In fact, DHMO is the number one substance dumped into rivers and streams by pulp and paper manufacturers.
I mean, I first heard about this 15 years ago and *still* the stuff is legal? There have been efforts in the New Zealand parliament to do something about this (they're very environmental-minded) but so far nothing's come of it. frown

PJ

p.s., I forgot to add links. The stuff I quoted is from here

A good site to start with actually would be the DHMO Research Division website.

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K