Originally posted by TOC:
Nowadays Batman is a much colder, lonelier person. I regret that change of his. And George Clooney isn't fit to play him, either.

I guess I was trying to say that people nowadays seem to favor a much harsher, colder Batman than before, and the men who are to play him are picked according to those criteria. Then perhaps we shouldn't be surprised if some of those Batman actors aren't really nice persons themselves.
That is a thought I find a little disturbing, to say the least.

Leaving aside the fact that you seem to dismiss the notion that being an actor - or an actress, for that matter - is about projecting to be someone else than you are in real live, i.e. playing a role instead of just playing yourself, you also imply that one should judge people on what they seem instead of what they do. Interesting thought, especially on a message board about a guy with a secret identity.

Even if I were to agree that Christian Bale seems "harsher, colder" than e.g. George Clooney (which, in the light of other performances from his extensive body of work, I don't), I would always oppose the claim that you should judge him on that outward appearance.

There are people who appear to be distanced and cold because of their upbringing, shyness or other factors, but who are in fact very kind and constantly concerned about others.

And there are people who project the image of a friendly, caring person, when in reality they are ruthless and care for no-one but themselves. I could give you quite a few examples of dictators who convincingly play a friendly father figure, when in reality they suppress their citizens and use violence, intimidation and fear to keep their position and power; but I would guess that if you took the time, you could come up with most of those examples yourself.

Sorry for being a little of topic, but I just had to comment on this troubling logic.

kill a cliché, save a reader