I doubt this counts as a spoiler, but since it follows on from...

... something Marcus says, I'll put in some extra space, just in case.

My personal view is that Voldemort isn't so much incompetent as psychopathic.

I can remember, when I was reading book six, gasping and thinking, "So that's it! Voldemort is a psychopath!" That he is horrible to both enemies and supporters alike, I think, arises from this.

Why do I think he's a psychopath / sociopath? Because I remember reading somewhere ages ago that one of the characteristics of a psychopath is the inability to feel love / normal emotions.

My dictionary doesn't actually mention the love thing. Instead it describes a psychopath as someone who commits antisocial and sometimes violent acts, and who fails to feel guilty about them.

Doesn't all this sound like Voldemort, though?

After all, Dumbledore specifically says that Voldemort cannot understand love. And Voldie certainly commits antisocial acts and violent acts, and he doesn't seem to show any kind of guilt or remorse.

From what we learn about Voldemort's past in the sixth book, he failed to make friends with anyone in the orphanage he lived in, prefering to terrorise the other kids. He strives for power all through his school days and beyond... but never for friendship.

So, there you have it. I think Voldemort is a psychopath with a large dose of megalomania thrown in for good measure. And woe betide anyone -- supporter or not -- who gets in his way.

Next question: why on Earth would the Death Eaters want to rally around someone like that?

Chris