We had A Phi on our campus, but they were kind of . . . not our friends . . . as a rule. (although two of them were my good friends.) LOL!
I understand. smile But honestly, I think it's so unfortunate that sororities generally have this cattiness going on and just can't get along...although I can't say I've seen how it is with every school. I mean, at DePauw where there's like a 70% Greek population, they must get along, right?

That said, I really hated rush. It was an awful, awful experience for me, which is why I'm so anti-sorority for a sorority girl, even though I love my own (sounds very hypocritical but it's a common enough sentiment).

At the UofM here, oddly enough it is the Engineering faculty is the worse for anything alcoholic or doing dumb stuff.
Our Eng people are pretty crazy, but I've never heard of them causing a lot of trouble because of excessive drinking. In fact, our Eng people are pretty cool, because the kind of ruckus they cause is a lot of fun - this year, they dropped a some-hundreds pound pumpkin from the top of a tall building (and, I imagine, calculating the rate of acceleration for it and such) to raise money for charity. I've heard they like to burn things a lot, which is always fun to watch, and I've even been told that some years back, they dropped a certain combination of chemicals in the Thames River (which runs through our campus) and people thought there were UFOs because of the coloured glow generated by the chemicals! goofy Some very, very good friends of mine are in Eng. smile

Dragging this vaguely back to the original topic, what (if anything) is the significance of the Greek letters used by each frat/sorority? Or were they picked more or less at random? Is there any hierarchy between, say, those with 2 letters and those with 3?
Well, Phil Who's Not A Phi wink , there is special significance of the letters used by...well, some Greek organizations. The letters of my sorority stand for a Greek phrase (well, two words) that I'm not allowed to disclose because it's confidential, but they were definitely chosen because they mean something. And I'm pretty sure there is no hierarchy between organizations with 2 letters and those with 3. Most have three letters, but...well, I guess it's just like everyone's names, some names are just longer/shorter than others, or some people have middle names or multiple middle names while others don't have any. smile