Of course I am unbiased.
I think it's fantastic that years later you're still thinking so fondly of your sisterhood; frankly, I think that's the way it should be! The same goes for schools; I think that everyone should be proud of whichever school they attend(ed) and think that it's the best in the world. Which is also why it always puzzles me whenever I hear people talk about their schools or alma maters in a negative way; why not change schools if they hated it so much? So good for you! smile

Obviously, my school has never been featured on David Letterman for party central. :)But hey, I'm still proud of my alma mater.
Honestly, this isn't something to be particularly proud of, in my opinion, but it's a funny conversation topic. goofy But it's actually just the residence building that made the list, not the entire school! :p Saugeen-Maitland hall is the largest res on campus, and it houses I think 1200 people, so naturally, some craziness could only be expected. goofy

But graduate college, get married, have kids, and then pretty soon the bag boy at the grocery store is calling you ma'am.
That sounds like great fun to me! laugh That's exactly what I want to do.

You know what's funny? I've gotten ma'amed a couple times before too, but I'm only 18. Maybe it's because I'm Asian though, so people want to be cautious because I could be 80 even if I look young. goofy

The legal age for drinking is 21 in the US; is it the same in Canada? It's against the law here to serve alcohol to minors, so fraternities do get into trouble for those sorts of things. I'm not sure how strict the law is in Canada.
In most provinces, the drinking age is 19, but in Quebec (and maybe a couple others, I'm not too sure) it's 18. That's why a lot of kids like to go to Montreal for Spring Break - it's the Canadian Cancun. And yeah, the cops bust parties all the time, which is why it's a sort of convention for Greeks to have VIP wristbands to bars or clubs as the afterparty, and usually the main events end at around midnight, so that people can go partying somewhere else. I feel bad for the people living near Greek houses, but many are students. That said, some houses behave pretty well so it's not too, too bad.

As far as strictness goes, it really depends. My friend's only 18, but she's been able to get into every venue she'd wanted with an ID that looks nothing like her (sh! it's a secret! goofy ). It's a real ID and it hasn't expired or anything, but the girl isn't even really the same ethnicity and she's six feet tall, whereas my friend's only about 5'5"1/2. It has even worked at places where people scan them with a machine. I guess bouncers don't look at certain things, or...I don't know.

Personally, I'm not a huge drinker. In fact, I don't even really like the taste of alcohol; I would only get into places for the dancing and the music, and I haven't purchased (well, paid for) a single drop of alcohol I've consumed at school.

I've been told that generally, places with universities are more lax. I've also been told that the same is true for big cities (it's supposed to be easier to get into places and get drinks in Toronto than in London, say, but while I know it's fairly easy to get by in London, I've never been clubbing at home so I wouldn't know).

From my experience with frats, they do drink a LOT, but because my school doesn't recognize Greeks, parents wouldn't be able to sue the school. So far *knock on wood* nothing tragic like that has happened yet, so we don't have a lot of hard and fast rules about drinking and such. I do think sometimes, people are so dense that it takes something major like that for people to pull up their socks and do what they're supposed to do.

But I mean, the res staff at most schools understand that people are going to drink regardless. My don told us that as long as we keep the drinking in our rooms, she can't and won't do anything about it. It was a sort of go ahead.

I've seen and heard of lots of parents who buy drinks and carry them into res for their kids though, thinking that if they don't forbid it, it won't go out of hand (my own mother would never subscribe to that logic goofy ). So it's no secret or anything, everyone knows what's going on at universities. I think it's just up to the individual. Parents have to trust that they've raised their kids well enough to be mature and responsible and to make good choices.

My two cents. smile

Chriscy