Well, I was a sister in Omega Phi Alpha service sorority in College and my dh was a Phi Gamma Delta.
I don't know how the Fiji's are at other campuses, but at our alma mater in TN they were one of the most upstanding fraternities on campus, as were the OPA sorority. (Of course I am unbiased.) smile Of course the OPA's participated in all the social stuff like Homecoming, but they were alot heavier on the service/volunteer work aspect than the other sororities at our campus---not to say the other sororities didn't do alot so please don't read that as a put-down. That's not what I meant. But our main emphasis was on service, even though we did the social stuff too. At my college, though, none of the sororities were allowed to have chapter houses, but all the fraternities did. I think it was due to some stupid, obscure, outdated law in the town having to do with brothels. I never did totally figure out why-- or make sense of it. Obviously, my school has never been featured on David Letterman for party central. :)But hey, I'm still proud of my alma mater.
Man, I really feel old thinking about that stuff. And I am not that old!!! But graduate college, get married, have kids, and then pretty soon the bag boy at the grocery store is calling you ma'am. It goes a little too fast sometimes.
I have to say though, I am enjoying this thirty-something stage of life pretty well. But I digress. Sorry.

Marcy

(Elrond's blessing at the departure of the company from Rivendell)

"Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.
May the stars shine upon your faces!"
-Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien