Pete has been a good friend and confidant to Clark, something that Chloe will probably never be because Clark doesn't trust her, especially after finding out she was keeping a file on him, and the way she acted under the truth/kryptonite drug.

While Lana may turn out to be a trusted confidant, I somehow doubt that her role will be the same. Guys have different relationships with their guy friends than their girlfriends, just like women do. There may be a logical reason for Pete to leave, but if the WB would just give him some decent scenes, he wouldn't necessarily have to -- unless the actor has other plans.

And as for Lana going to Paris, something tells me she's not going to make it. I just don't think the WB would let her live her dreams as easily as that. This is Smallville, after all. Something is bound to get in the way.

I agree, you can definitely tell Tom Welling is older than 17. And I can see this Clark Kent being tempted to use his powers for his own benefit. Who wouldn't be?

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2