Originally posted by Ultra Woman:
Once and again they present Clark as the savior, the chosen one. <snip>

Somebody tells Clark: "That's the difference between believers and nonbelievers. We believed you would be the next savior."

Eternal review

Tess refers to Clark as "a visitor from another planet sent to Earth to save humankind."

Later Tess and Davis (Doomsday) are talking:
Tess: "Who would Christ have been if Judas had not betrayed him? Maybe we would remember Jesus as only a teacher roaming the desert. There is a savior among us. You are here to betray him. I finally realized that until you fulfill your destiny, he won't have his greatest challenge to overcome. He cannot become the world's savior without triumphing over the world's destroyer."

Davis: "What savior? What are you talking about?"

Tess: "Clark."

This is another reason why I don't watch Smallville. It's disrespectful to put Jesus on the same level of a fictional character. I know that Smallville didn't start it, but they took it to another level.

Andreia
Considering that I am the one who started this whole thread, what I am about to say might seem ironic at best or contradictory to my former posts at worst, but to judge by the quotes in Andreia's post, I would agree wholeheartedly with her -- They did cross the line with Smallville. I have no problems with having Superman being seen as a "Christ figure" (i.e., there being a number of similarities between the two); but that is a *world* apart from claiming that Superman actually *IS* the Christ. The latter I, too, would consider to be blasphemy. Smallville will definitely NOT be on my list of shows to watch.

This is certainly continuing to be an interesting thread.

cheers,
Lynn