Hi Ann,

Originally posted by TOC:
Interesting post. I'm a non-religious person myself, but that doesn't mean that the comparison between Jesus and Superman isn't valid.
Thank you. I figure that for the purposes this thread, one's own personal beliefs really don't matter.

I would like to point out that since Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster (the creators of Superman) were Jewish, it is not so likely that they wanted their creation to be compared with Jesus.
Probably not, then. Then again, one thing about the creative process is that if you achieve something really worthwhile creatively, it will take on a life of its own and different people will be able to bring things to it that you did not necessarily intend when you created it.

Indeed, I have read someplace that Jerry Siegel was inspired by the story of Samson, the great strongman from the Old Testament, when he created Superman. Maybe that's why Superman has traditionally been far more afraid of a relationship with Lois than LnC Lois has ever been afraid of a relationship with LnC Clark - you know, because Siegel's original creation thought that Lois was his Delilah?
I never knew that. That is fascinating! Fortunately, they made Clark a lot smarter than Samson appeared to be. I don't know whether it is true or not, but I've long thought of Samson as the origin of the stereotype for the "dumb jock". (To paraphrase a certain villainous time traveler, "Hello! Duh! Delilah betrays you twice, and then you tell her the TRUTH about the source of your strength? Can you say, 'galactically stupid'?!?") I'm glad that Lois and Clark (finally!) did manage to get together in LNC. That is one of the myriad reasons I prefer it over the more traditional interpretations of Superman.

cheers,
Lynn