My hubby asks what I'm up to from time to time (usually it's because I'm editing on the drive somewhere). He's been known to help me talk out ideas and stuck points. With that said, I think it's because he's bored and wants something to share with me (we don't have a ton of common interests and this is easier for him to be interested in than dance).

My son (admittedly only 19 1/2 months old) has started being interested in the Superman S but I've never watched any of the episodes for him to get interested in this version (he does see my comics all over the place, though.)

My family varies. My sister is the "Writer" in the family. She's the one that writes more original stories than fanfiction. When she asks I'll give her a brief synopsis of what I've been writing mostly. As most of my stories are nfic (that are in the process of being written currently) I do have to edit or at least gloss over the writing some because like all siblings, she's not really interested in knowing the sort of stuff that goes through her older sister's mind "that way."

I'm more verbal about my writing during NaNo season. If someone asks (in November) I often say I'm participating in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and if they ask about my story I do own up to it being fanfic of Superman (I've written both for this uni and the Reeve movie version during NaNo). If they're still interested in that point (most people seem to be) then I'll give them some info/synopsis and such.

It also seems like people are more forgiving depending on the version of fanfic. TV shows are kinda iffy. Superman (comics in most mind's eyes) seems to be more interesting to people. Rewrites/fanfics of the fairy tales though? People (my sis, hubby and such) are all for it! One more version in the fantasy genre. I suspect it has to do with the fact that it's "open domain" and thus free to play with to my heart's content (with the story.)

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)