My kids know I write fanfiction and so I'll get some "You *love* Superman, Mom!" teasing from time to time, but as you know, my stories aren't written for kids. (I usually respond, "No, I don't. I'm a fan of *Clark Kent*". wink And they usually just roll their eyes, not understanding at all.) At least, they point out every time they see Superman's logo for me and are willing to watch LnC or animated Superman / Justice League with me. laugh

My husband knows and is basically in denial. If I bring up a storyline or something funny I read on the boards, I see his eyes cloud up and his mind wander, so I don't bring it up often. I'd like to say it's because of my choice of stories, but before I wrote fanfiction I wrote Regency & romance and he did the same thing then. He has NEVER asked to read anything I've written. Never.

My folks and my sisters know I write LnC fanfiction but they think it's a phase and they're waiting for it to pass, so they basically ignore it. One of my sisters has tried to get me to write Bones FanFiction instead "because that show is at least still on the air". Or I'm told I should go back to writing original stories, because I could sell them. Nobody understands.

I've mentioned it to one or two acquaintances, but usually I just mention that I write fiction (not the content), because I've found unless you write or read fanfiction I just get the above reactions. People aren't supportive and they don't understand. I usually end up getting looked at with a funny expression, which resembles pity mixed with a bit of fear, as they change the topic quickly, back up, or start talking to other people.

My support group are my betas and everyone here. You all understand. I may be crazy wave Thanks for being there for me. sloppy

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.