Regarding the movie scenario--it's not the ceremony that makes you legally married, IIRC--it's the license. It would be hard to accidentally sign a marriage license.
Actually, in some states if a ceremony is performed by a bonefided pastor, it's as legal as the signing of the certificate. As much a the government insists on separation of church and state, so many things are considered legal and binding when associated with church. (e.g. whatever is written in a Bible- birth records, marriage records-- hmm... that could be interesting evil )

Here's a scenario I've thought of for a reluctant marriage: Suppose that, at some point in their dating relationship, Lex won't take 'no' for an answer and Lois is the victim of a date rape. Not only does she have the trauma of the rape, but she ends up pregnant. Meanwhile, now that her Lex blinders are off, she's more willing to listen to Clark on the Lex is evil front. Clark, with his supersenses, realizes that Lois is pregnant pretty early on. Here's where the marriage comes in: In most states (and since New Troy is fictional, we can use whatever state law we want), when a married woman has a child, her husband is assumed to be the child's father. That could lead Lois and Clark to get married for the sole purpose of protecting her child from Luthor, who would, of course, want custody out of a sheer desire for control. Much potential for angst in that scenario, and a lot of difficult decisions for Lois, starting with why she chooses to keep the child in the first place. Many mixed feelings for Clark, too, who would be torn between loving the child because it is Lois's and trying not to resent it for being Lex's, with much ensuing Clark-introspective-guilt.
I've actually tossed this idea around for years. I have one on my HD where I used PML as the kick starter. Lois believes herself pregnant from an attack, Clark marries her, but they eventually find out that Clark really is the father. (He was affected, too.) But Luthor being father, or thinking he is (I don't know if I could actually make him the father thud .) could really make life intersting.

The spouse can't testify thing could be interesting... very interesting. Would it be believable if a bad guy(s) forced our couple to marry to make one look guilty? (The other is already suspected of being guilty.) Then they remain married to get them out of testifying?

On the subject of crazy laws, in SC if a man and woman spend one night together, they'd considered common law married. Of course, common law is not what I'm after. I want living in the same house, I really don't want to be here, I'm about to blow up but I can't stand the person who shares my bed kind of thing. (Did I mention our couple is not going to be very happy about this arrangement?)

Thanks for the response so far. It's been great.

SQD