"Fanfic is to fix" -- yes. Definitely. Although I'm not interested in plot fixes, per se. Fanfic is for when I'm frustrated with what I see (or don't see) on screen -- when there's so much *potential* there that they're not exploring or taking advantage of. The L&C characters and their relationship are so good and fun and rich with potential. The show barely scratched the surface.

Some of this is not the show's fault; they couldn't reasonably do more than two-three "revelation" stories, whereas in fanfic we can do thousands.

My motivation is my brain getting hold of a "what if". Sometimes I see one particular scene and the emotions are so delicious that I have to figure out a way to get them there and then onward to a happy ending (Hearts Divided, for example). That's the tricky part. Sometimes I want to do a different take on a given situation -- how can I do an alt-Clark-meets-Lois story and make it fresh? Sometimes it's a challenge.

Hanging out in L&C's world is so much *fun*. It's fun reading what others do, and it's even more fun when I get to make up my own versions.

I've been writing fiction since junior high. I've only written fanfic for two shows, though, and mostly only L&C.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K