Thanks, everyone. Lots of good information there. It sounds as if I can basically take this in any direction I want and still not be wrong. That's good to know.

(Which, for your purposes, means you can have Lois's house have whatever rules best fit your story. )
That's exactly what I was thinking. laugh

If you feel like going the extra mile, each letter stands for a Greek word that's important to the sorority, or possibly a sentence, but only the initiated members would know it. Our sorority name was Delta Gamma, which stands for 2 words (a D word, and a G word)
Well, yours is obvious, JD. Obviously, the D word is Drinking and the G word is Gambling. laugh
Anyway, that got me thinking. I was thinking that I'd use something like Gamma Gamma W - but there is no W in Greek mad . I'd never say in the story what it stood for, but in my mind it would stand for Girls Gone Wild. laugh Anyway, now I have to think up another phrase - that won't be used in the story just to keep everyone guessing laugh

I highly doubt Lois would be in a sorority -- it's much more of a party atmosphere, but I could see Ellen being in one of the really big legacy ones like Kappa Kappa Gamma, and possibly guilting Lois into rushing ... and then her hating it.
That's sort of what I was thinking. And Lois would hate it... except they have a computer (not exactly something every school kid had in 1987). And I have to say that Lois loves the word processor. laugh

The fraternity house I lived in that one summer was an Engineering fraternity
I don't know if there were fraternities or sororities at the University of Saskatchewan, but I do remember hearing that the engineering students (at the time, mostly men) and the nursing students (at the time, mostly women) used to have some pretty wild joint parties. laugh

Anyway, thanks everyone. That gives me some direction for what I want to do. Don't be surprised if some of your ideas end up in my next story. laugh

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane