My friends loved it. I just thought it very, very weird.
Not coming from the culture which embraces them, the thing which has always bothered me about the whole fraternity/sorority system is how much unbearable pressure it must put on kids who aren't deemed acceptable enough to join one.

I simply cannot imagine how much more difficult that must make their lives at a time when life is already very stressful. A time when many are anxious about their role in the world and how they fit in. What it must do to some kids to be told that early on that they are worthless - even before they get out into the world. At a time when they are, perhaps, less able to deal with rejection than they would be later in life.

I suspect it must be a lot of fun for those who get in, but not so much for those who don't. frown It just seems like one more thing - along with the football hero/cheerleader system - that puts unnecessary pressure on kids when they need it least.

But then all my experience of these systems is based on second-hand accounts and not having lived it myself, so perhaps I'm missing something in the details.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers