Well, I was in my freshman year of college in 86-87. I know my university had frats (one of them did an annual streak through campus during the winter sometime goofy ) but honestly I don't even remember if they had sororities. They were that far off my radar. But then, I'd had years and years of being unpopular laugh so I guess I was used to it by then! I did stay in the official "academic" section of the dorms, which were meant to be quieter for studying, etc. Turns out later, it was also the unofficial gay floor. Very educational year!

I think, also, that it would vary quite a bit by school, in how important sorority/fraternity membership would be. I imagine they're much more prominent at "party" schools. But (as stated above) I haven't much of a clue.

Anyway, I think my point is, that while some kids go crazy over trying to fit in, some other kids just don't give a darn.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K