Hey, CP33 - Atlanta, Georgia is part of the south. And “fixin’ to” is a very southern saying - I’ve heard it all my life. But I don’t recall ever hearing it when I lived up north in Columbus, Ohio or out west in the Rocky Mountains. Maybe it is bad grammar, but it’s no different than some of the other sayings from around the country. It couldn’t possibly be worse than “youse guys”.

Y’all might be interested to know that the southern dialect and more especially the Appalachian dialect is considered closer to the King’s (or Queen’s) English which, of course, is the home of English, than any other American dialect. For instance, how would some of you define row (I don’t mean to row a boat.)? Now come on... Do it without looking it up. How many of you know what it means? (Bet Elisabeth knows.)

~~~~~

And how about this... What’s the following mean?

“Elisabeth, will you go to the store for me?”

“I don’t care to do that, James.”

Come on now, tell me quick - your first impression.

~~~~~
And where in the world did you get those Southernisms, James? Surely those weren’t on LnC, were they? Oh, I see - Elisabeth made them up. But, yes, some of Perry’s Southern sayings weren’t quite right.

I believe “sweet” is more widespread, Pam.

~~~~~

He's as relaxed as a opossum on codeine.
Hehehe... I know Elisabeth made this up (pretty cute). Here's what we'd really say:

He's drunker 'n a skunk. ('n is a very shortened version of than.) rotflol

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~