I grew up north of the Mason-Dixon line, but moved down to North Carolina 16 years ago. I love Southernisms. James, that list reminded me of some of the more unhinged Dan Rather lines. smile

"Y'all" is an exceptionally useful word. Perfect for speaking to doctor's offices and store clerks. I picked that one up almost immediately.

These last two years, I've started working in a blue collar industry (I do accounting; the company makes concrete), and most of the people there are born & bred in NC, so I get to hear this sort of thing a lot.

I started saying "right quick" a few years back -- my husband laughs at me, but it's the same thing as saying "real quick." My latest acquisition is "might could" -- short for "that's something that I would be able to do and I'll probably do it, but I don't want to commit in case I change my mind."

And now, y'all, it's my bedtime, so I might could wrap this up right quick wink

Or maybe I'll add... I've found some "kinder and gentler" alternatives that I've switched to. My favorite is "fuss." Instead of telling my kids their Dad's gonna yell at them, I tell them he'll fuss at them. Then there's "stuff happens" or "dang." I also use "frell" but that's from Farscape goofy

Lately I've heard people use "sweet!" -- is that a regional thing, or more widespread?

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K