1) If a certain male character were to engage in some intense observation of his female partner and recently erstwhile lover, what visual or behavioral clues might lead him to (correctly) assume said partner was pregnant?
My closest friend has just had it confirmed that she's pregnant (8 weeks along). I was the one to suggest to her that she may be pregnant, because of certain changes in behaviour I'd noticed.

Eating habits were a big indicator. Meals that she'd normally be able to polish off in minutes, she couldn't finish. Certain foods that she used to love now made her sick even thinking about them.

She was also different emotionally, and was suffering from fatigue. She always makes the comment that whenever she's busy, bustling about getting things done, that she feels happier, but the past few weeks she's been busy as usual, but not feeling happy in herself. She's young and healthy, but was exhausted and had to start taking naps. She gets tired a lot more quickly than usual now, and is just generally feeling worn down.

In terms of more physical signs, perhaps the character hasn't been sleeping well because of nausea etc, so may be pale, or have dark circles under her eyes. Maybe she starts handling temperatures differently - my friend seems to be constantly overheated recently, her body is having a hard time regulating temperature.

Oh, and apparently congestion becomes an issue...lots and lots of congestion goofy

Life is short - wear cute shoes.