On that line of thought: how does anyone that Superman catches in the act and hands over to the police get convicted in court? If Superman was the only witness, how does he get subpoenaed? If he doesn't testify, does the criminal go free? How could he possibly testify in all of the cases he's involved in? Talk about Clark losing his job - he'd never make it in to work!
Well, in the US, less than about 5% of criminal cases actually go to trial. US Attorneys, to the best of my knowledge, won't lay down an indictment unless they know they can win, and as a result most cases get plea bargained or tossed out. I doubt Superman would really get called in that often.

On the same note, it often takes years for things to actually go to trial. Superman doesn't take notes, and doesn't file reports -- I highly doubt anyone would even really *want* him as a witness except to just be there saying, "Hi, I'm Superman," and smiling pretty for the cameras.

My guess would be the majority of incidents where he is the only witness will get tossed out and the guys will go free.

Realistically speaking, I see Superman having much more success as an emergency worker, not a crimestopper.

I guess a missed opportunity is that beyond a paragraph from Mason and an episode where he got sued, they never really addressed this. At all.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.