Fault-divorces can only be obtained in some states , and the laws vary from state to state. New Troy, of course, has whatever laws you like. wink

Attempted murder is clearly cruel and abusive treatment .

This looks relevant.
So does this.

If my character wants to get a fault-divorce, say, her soon-to-be-ex-husband tried to throw her over the balcony of their penthouse (sorry for stealing your example, Sheila goofy ), and he's caught red-handed (say, Superman sees him - is Superman's word enough to prove it actually?), is that ground enough for a fault divorce?
IANAL, and I don't know very much about at-fault divorces, but I would think yes to both.
And if so, how long would it take to proceed, assuming the soon-to-be-ex-husband fights to stay married to my unnamed character?
It could take quite a while. It takes months to schedule even preliminary hearings in most jurisdictions. And whether the judge would grant a divorce immediately or require a full hearing (several months later) . . . well, I'd guess that it depends a LOT on the individual judge, and to some degree on state law and precedent.

Keep in mind, most states require the petitioner to have lived in that state for a minimum time period (generally several months) and divorce laws are completely different in other countries.

If that's relevant . . . *whistles innocently*

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun