I've definitely hit writer's block. Personally, I've discovered two kinds. The first kind is when I know what I want to say, but everything I type sounds stupid - I can't manage to spit the right words out onto the paper or screen. In this case, I sometimes have to either skip that particular section or close up that particular story altogether. I either work on something else or go watch TV or read a good book. Take a break.

The second type of writer's block for me is just a lack of desire to write at all - kind of a creative lull where I can't get motivated to write anything. I just plain don't feel like writing. This is a bit harder because I've been told by so many writers that they key to becoming a good writer is to write every day. The good thing is that this mood has always passed within a few days.

I had a teacher tell me that the way to combat writer's block is to sit down at your computer and just start typing. Anything. Pick up a book and start copying the stuff out off the pages on to your screen. A passage from Shakespeare. The latest Danielle Steele book. Anything at all that forces you to fill up a blank screen. And in that process, your own juices may start to flow. The scariest thing a writer faces is a white sheet of paper (or a blank document file), so having anything in front of you may help you get over that.

This same teacher also introduced me to the "What if..." game. Start asking "what if" questions and answer them. For example: What if Clark discovered that Lois had given a baby up for adoption when she was in college? What if Lois found a piece of glowing blue rock and showed it to Clark? And what if that blue rock made Clark start laughing convulsively? What if Perry sent Lois and Clark out to investigate the newest trend of cross-dressing nightclubs and Clark had to go undercover as a cross dresser? You get the idea. Within your own story, pick up where you got stuck and start writing a whole bunch of "what if" scenarios until one strikes you.

Or another way is to brainstorm - pick a friend and start to toss crazy ideas around. It's amazing how well this works - ideas just start popping out all over the place. This usually works best in some kind of open dialogue - IRC or some kind of Instant Messaging - otherwise you lose momentum.

Hope one of these ideas helps. I'm currently in my writer's block Type 2/Creative lull mode myself <g>. Thus my long-winded answer here!

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah