Lynn Thanks for your comments.

But you included enough WAFFy stuff to hold my interest
Oh, good. One of the challenges was to get in some explanations about footy (Clark *is* there to write about it) without losing sight of the fact that this is a Lois and Clark fic.

I'm glad it worked for you.

Iolanthe

I liked the "tiny pants".
laugh

Ann rotflol Thanks for your story! The American hosts must have been shocked - they probably decided there and then never to visit Sweden!

Artemis

Thanks - Lois and Clark know no bounds - they can make the most mundane subjects sexy!

Dudes with flags at the goal posts. Did I see 2 sets of goal posts, a wide and a slimmer, taller set? Isn't that like - what? - Canadian football?
The 'dudes' are the goal umpires. They wave two flags for a goal, one for a point. The goal posts are as you describe (more in part 3). I have no knowledge of Canadian football.

Ruth? As in Babe Ruth?

Thanks for your FDK.

DW Thanks for leaving FDK. I'm glad you're enjoying the fic.

Tank

I am getting an impression that the Austrailia and it's folks of this particular era aren't terribly progressive.
Yes and no.

Firstly, the fic is set fourteen years ago. Things have changed a lot since then - particularly in football. Women are goal umpires now and there are increasing numbers of female football journalists. There is also a female footy commentator working for a television station. Every year the AFL hold 'Women's Round' to 'celebrate the contribution of women to football'.

Secondly, an all-male environment is going to be one of the last places female-induced change happens. If this fic was about the arts for example, it would read differently.

Thirdly, I wanted Lois to be a pioneer - I wanted her to be the one who led the way, who went where no woman before her had gone. Possibly, to be completely true to history, this fic should be set in the eighties - but I didn't want to deviate that much from canon.

Again, it might be part of this particular story, but is everyone in Melbourne totally fanatic about their football. I know that Clark is supposed to pose as a sports reporter, but so far he hasn't run into anyone who seems... 'normal'.
Not *everyone*, but I believe it is a much higher percentage than most other cities. It's hard to judge of course, but I've heard reactions from visitors expressing their amazement at how football is such a wide-spread obsession (in Melbourne, less so everywhere else).

I guess I'm experiencing some of the culture confusion that Clark is while reading this story.
From a writer's perspective, that's great!

Tank (who wonders if Austrialian Rules Football is the same thing as what we used to call Rugby)
I doubt it. Rugby League and Rugby Union are also football codes. Both are very different from Australian Rules Football.

Thanks for your thoughts.

JD Thanks. smile If you like the different culture and can tolerate the footy and love some WAFF, I'm hoping you will enjoy this fic.

Corrina.