party I'm first!

Okay, I'm up giving my house a much needed cleaning while everyone is asleep. I just happened to look and...voila!

Okay...Absolutely brilliant!
She was lucky to have been able to get in at all, but somehow she doubted he was completely unaware of what had transpired the night before.
Snake!
"That's a very serious allegation. He's a respected member of this university faculty and of the journalistic community."
Vice President Snodgrass sat there, thoughtfully. "Do you have any proof of this? Did you call security or the police?"

Lois shook her head. "I just wanted out of there. I was badly shaken and Clark had to carry me home."

He thought for another minute. "Mrs. Kent, you should know that some very serious allegations have been made by Professor Paul Smith against you and your husband."

Lois' eyes narrowed as she looked at the Vice President of Student Affairs. She'd suspected something like this was going to happen. "What *exactly* is he saying?"

"That you attempted to seduce him. When he refused, you said you were going to accuse him of rape and that Mr. Kent then assaulted him."

"I guess the part about Clark assaulting him is technically correct, but that was only because Professor Smith was assaulting me. He *had* practically raped me by the time Clark got there."

He shook his head. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Kent. That's not how Professor Smith describes the situation."

"So it's his word against mine?"

"I'm afraid so. However, as I said earlier, Professor Smith is a well respected member of this university's faculty and an award winning journalist. I'm afraid in a contest of your reputation against his, he wins hands down."

"What about Clark? He was there."

"Your husband? Who I'm told has been cheating on you with another student for two years now? I'm afraid his reputation leaves quite a bit to be desired."
Okay, the line gets drawn here. This is hardly a statement for the president to be making. He is definitely in on it!
"Then he's spent an awful lot of time alone in the company of a woman who isn't you."
"The fact remains that he has been seen often in the presence of another woman with whom everyone believes is having an affair. The truth of the matter, if it really is as you say, will likely not make a difference in determining the reliability of his testimony."
How would the president know all of this if Professor Paul had not told him this or Linda...or even Mayson because I'm still not convinced that she is not involved.
"Journalistic Integrity, Mrs. Kent. He's biased and everyone will know it." The man leaned forward in his seat, his elbows resting on his desk, hands clasped in front of him. "Professor Smith has agreed not to press any charges on a couple of conditions. You and Mr. Kent will be given passing grades in journalism and allowed to graduate next month. However, neither one of you will be allowed to have any contact with him in the future and you will have to sign a confidentiality agreement."
Bastard! But we know that Lois and Clark are not going to take this lying down.
"The campus police would have called me as would the Metropolis PD substation, if they had received such a report."

"We didn't go to campus police or the police substation."

He frowned at that. "Where did you go?"

"To an officer we know and trust. One with an impeccable reputation for honesty."

"Who?"

"At the moment, sir, that is none of your business."

"You really should have reported it in the district where the alleged assault occurred, Mrs. Kent. That is the way things are done."

"So you would have received a copy of the report before I got here?"

He shrugged. "Perhaps. They would have called me if there was an allegation of this sort and I do receive copies of those things, but when it would have arrived, I can't say."
Ahh, Lois held a trump card! Going through the chain of command of the campus police is how things kept covered up the last times but Lois was a step ahead of him and the president is not happy with that. He wants to know who Henderson is so that he can offer him a deal. I think the president is now playing a strategic game of poker because he realizes that his hand isn't as good as he thought, so he calls a bluff.
"Mrs. Kent, I need to tell you something completely off the record." The Vice President's secretary looked around nervously.

"Yes?"

She handed a slip of paper to Lois. "You didn't get that from me and I didn't tell you this."

"Okay." Lois put the paper into her pocket without looking at it.

"There have been other allegations of sexual misconduct by Professor Smith in the past. Because of his value to the university, they've been swept under the rug, but those women can corroborate your story," she whispered and walked towards the bathroom.
Ahh, gravy! Lois was right! Paul was too good for it to have been his first time.
The tape finally clicked to a stop and Lois pressed play.

Clark saw her face go white as Professor Smith's voice filled the air.
party Lois knows that she has the trump card! I knew there was a tape recorder!
"Is that what he said to you, Lois?" Clark voice was quiet and it was only for Lois' sake that he was able to squelch the rage he felt building deep in the pit of his stomach.

She nodded.

"Come here."

He reached for her pulling her into his arms, letting her cry, her tears drenching his shirt. He held her and rocked her gently until the sobs subsided.
Clark is just so loving and supportive of Lois. He's definitely been her rock. I just wish that Lois would start to open up to him.
"Will you stay with me?" Her voice sounded small.

"Of course."
This is a big step for Lois, to share something as personal as her assault. Slowly, she's starting to trust Clark.
Clark's eyes narrowed. Linda King had often made it a point to mention when she knew Paul and Lois had been working late. He'd thought it was to drive a wedge between the two of them- she'd been pretty flirty with him all along – but maybe... could she have been... jealous? Was she one of the women who went along willingly with Paul? She wasn't half the writer Lois was, but she got a lot of the best assignments. Was that why?
I think all the above are true.
He heard her voice crying in his head – 'Clark, where are you?' or something to that effect. It was all the push he'd needed.
Clark is so in tuned to Lois that he can feel/sense her emotions.
I'm sorry I didn't get there faster. I heard you call for me, but I didn't come as fast as I could have."

"You heard that?" The question was quiet.

"I did.
Just more proof for Lois of how strong Clark's love is for her.

Very nice, Carol! You're all that and a bag of chips and a glass of sweet tea with lemon-and a slice of blueberry pie. peep Did I say I love this story?

Absolutely fabulous!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.