Next Thread
Print Thread
#52228 05/16/08 08:08 PM
Sheila Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
party I'm first!

Okay, I'm up giving my house a much needed cleaning while everyone is asleep. I just happened to look and...voila!

Okay...Absolutely brilliant!
She was lucky to have been able to get in at all, but somehow she doubted he was completely unaware of what had transpired the night before.
Snake!
"That's a very serious allegation. He's a respected member of this university faculty and of the journalistic community."
Vice President Snodgrass sat there, thoughtfully. "Do you have any proof of this? Did you call security or the police?"

Lois shook her head. "I just wanted out of there. I was badly shaken and Clark had to carry me home."

He thought for another minute. "Mrs. Kent, you should know that some very serious allegations have been made by Professor Paul Smith against you and your husband."

Lois' eyes narrowed as she looked at the Vice President of Student Affairs. She'd suspected something like this was going to happen. "What *exactly* is he saying?"

"That you attempted to seduce him. When he refused, you said you were going to accuse him of rape and that Mr. Kent then assaulted him."

"I guess the part about Clark assaulting him is technically correct, but that was only because Professor Smith was assaulting me. He *had* practically raped me by the time Clark got there."

He shook his head. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Kent. That's not how Professor Smith describes the situation."

"So it's his word against mine?"

"I'm afraid so. However, as I said earlier, Professor Smith is a well respected member of this university's faculty and an award winning journalist. I'm afraid in a contest of your reputation against his, he wins hands down."

"What about Clark? He was there."

"Your husband? Who I'm told has been cheating on you with another student for two years now? I'm afraid his reputation leaves quite a bit to be desired."
Okay, the line gets drawn here. This is hardly a statement for the president to be making. He is definitely in on it!
"Then he's spent an awful lot of time alone in the company of a woman who isn't you."
"The fact remains that he has been seen often in the presence of another woman with whom everyone believes is having an affair. The truth of the matter, if it really is as you say, will likely not make a difference in determining the reliability of his testimony."
How would the president know all of this if Professor Paul had not told him this or Linda...or even Mayson because I'm still not convinced that she is not involved.
"Journalistic Integrity, Mrs. Kent. He's biased and everyone will know it." The man leaned forward in his seat, his elbows resting on his desk, hands clasped in front of him. "Professor Smith has agreed not to press any charges on a couple of conditions. You and Mr. Kent will be given passing grades in journalism and allowed to graduate next month. However, neither one of you will be allowed to have any contact with him in the future and you will have to sign a confidentiality agreement."
Bastard! But we know that Lois and Clark are not going to take this lying down.
"The campus police would have called me as would the Metropolis PD substation, if they had received such a report."

"We didn't go to campus police or the police substation."

He frowned at that. "Where did you go?"

"To an officer we know and trust. One with an impeccable reputation for honesty."

"Who?"

"At the moment, sir, that is none of your business."

"You really should have reported it in the district where the alleged assault occurred, Mrs. Kent. That is the way things are done."

"So you would have received a copy of the report before I got here?"

He shrugged. "Perhaps. They would have called me if there was an allegation of this sort and I do receive copies of those things, but when it would have arrived, I can't say."
Ahh, Lois held a trump card! Going through the chain of command of the campus police is how things kept covered up the last times but Lois was a step ahead of him and the president is not happy with that. He wants to know who Henderson is so that he can offer him a deal. I think the president is now playing a strategic game of poker because he realizes that his hand isn't as good as he thought, so he calls a bluff.
"Mrs. Kent, I need to tell you something completely off the record." The Vice President's secretary looked around nervously.

"Yes?"

She handed a slip of paper to Lois. "You didn't get that from me and I didn't tell you this."

"Okay." Lois put the paper into her pocket without looking at it.

"There have been other allegations of sexual misconduct by Professor Smith in the past. Because of his value to the university, they've been swept under the rug, but those women can corroborate your story," she whispered and walked towards the bathroom.
Ahh, gravy! Lois was right! Paul was too good for it to have been his first time.
The tape finally clicked to a stop and Lois pressed play.

Clark saw her face go white as Professor Smith's voice filled the air.
party Lois knows that she has the trump card! I knew there was a tape recorder!
"Is that what he said to you, Lois?" Clark voice was quiet and it was only for Lois' sake that he was able to squelch the rage he felt building deep in the pit of his stomach.

She nodded.

"Come here."

He reached for her pulling her into his arms, letting her cry, her tears drenching his shirt. He held her and rocked her gently until the sobs subsided.
Clark is just so loving and supportive of Lois. He's definitely been her rock. I just wish that Lois would start to open up to him.
"Will you stay with me?" Her voice sounded small.

"Of course."
This is a big step for Lois, to share something as personal as her assault. Slowly, she's starting to trust Clark.
Clark's eyes narrowed. Linda King had often made it a point to mention when she knew Paul and Lois had been working late. He'd thought it was to drive a wedge between the two of them- she'd been pretty flirty with him all along – but maybe... could she have been... jealous? Was she one of the women who went along willingly with Paul? She wasn't half the writer Lois was, but she got a lot of the best assignments. Was that why?
I think all the above are true.
He heard her voice crying in his head – 'Clark, where are you?' or something to that effect. It was all the push he'd needed.
Clark is so in tuned to Lois that he can feel/sense her emotions.
I'm sorry I didn't get there faster. I heard you call for me, but I didn't come as fast as I could have."

"You heard that?" The question was quiet.

"I did.
Just more proof for Lois of how strong Clark's love is for her.

Very nice, Carol! You're all that and a bag of chips and a glass of sweet tea with lemon-and a slice of blueberry pie. peep Did I say I love this story?

Absolutely fabulous!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
LOL! Okay - I can't get it to let me edit my segment post, so...

This part wasn't due until tomorrow, but we have a bday party for a 3yo and company so... and Sunday's busy too, so part 21 will be Monday.

I *did* however, finish another part today and start another one after that smile .

Thanks.
Carol

Sheila Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
May 17th is my daughter's birthday (Saturday) but we had her cake at school today! She's 8. So my weekend will be tied up catering to whatever "Christina wants" this weekend. LOL!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I'm supposed to be cleaning for said party right now... tis 130 though...

Actually I'm going to bed wink .
Carol

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Brilliant as usual, Carol. And shocking! And, still more shocking, it's not as unheard-of as it absolutely ought to be!

"Last night, I was assaulted and nearly raped by Professor Paul Smith," Lois said baldly.

He raised an eyebrow. "That's a very serious allegation. He's a respected member of this university faculty and of the journalistic community."
The man you accuse is a man of honour!!! He is beyond reproach! He can't be guilty!

I'm sure you have all heard of Joseph Fritzl, the Austrian man who held his daughter captive in his cellar for twenty-four years and fathered seven children with her, three of whom have spent all their lives in that tiny underground prison. I haven't been posting anything about Jospeh Fritzl because he didn't kill his daughter, and the outright killing of women is always what gets me going the most. But what interests me about the Fritzl case is how the surrounding society treated him. The man was convicted of rape at a time when he had been married for several years and already had four children. That is no small thing, and it wasn't as if Fritzl was a frustrated unmarried young man who couldn't get sex any other way. And yet the Austrian society treated Jospeh Fritzl with an incredible amount of deference and respect. When his young daughter Elizabeth started running away, it was immediately assumed that she was a misbehaving and perhaps slutty teenager who needed to be brought back to her strict but loving parents for her own good. When the girl disappeared at eighteen, society accepted her father's words that his daughter had joined a sect. When some of Elizabeth's children started appearing at Joseph and Rosemarie Fritzl's doorstep, one by one, society accepted the father's words that his daughter was a bad mother who left her children with her parents because she couldn't take care of them herself. Again and again, the Austrian society believed and respected Joseph Fritzl, the convicted rapist. Even after the horrible truth had been revealed, an Austrian police chief described Joseph Fritzl as - if I remember it correctly - a polite and elegant man.

When this Snodgrass person immediately sticks up for Paul Smith and scoffs at Lois, he is doing what Austrian authorities did for Joseph Fritzl, although the magnitude of Paul Smith's crimes can't be compared with Joseph Fritzl's, of course. Interestingly, however, Joseph Fritzl was a convicted rapist, and there had been many allegations of rape against Paul Smith. Snodgrass is just like the Austrian authorities: even though he knows that women have complained about this man before, he supports the perpetrator, not the victim.

"Professor Smith has agreed not to press any charges on a couple of conditions. You and Mr. Kent will be given passing grades in journalism and allowed to graduate next month. However, neither one of you will be allowed to have any contact with him in the future and you will have to sign a confidentiality agreement."
Where is the barf gremlin?

"You should know my husband and I did go to the police later in the evening and reported the assault."

"The campus police would have called me as would the Metropolis PD substation, if they had received such a report."

"We didn't go to campus police or the police substation."

He frowned at that. "Where did you go?"

"To an officer we know and trust. One with an impeccable reputation for honesty."

"Who?"

"At the moment, sir, that is none of your business."
Disgusting! Disgusting! The campus police are in Snodgrass's pocket! And Lois is so right, it is none of Snodgrass's business what police officer she and Clark reported the crime to.

"Mrs. Kent, I need to tell you something completely off the record." The Vice President's secretary looked around nervously.

"Yes?"

She handed a slip of paper to Lois. "You didn't get that from me and I didn't tell you this."

"Okay." Lois put the paper into her pocket without looking at it.

"There have been other allegations of sexual misconduct by Professor Smith in the past. Because of his value to the university, they've been swept under the rug, but those women can corroborate your story," she whispered and walked towards the bathroom.
The secretary is terrified of talking about this, because it might presumably cost her her job! (By the way, and sorry to bring this up, but that reminds me of something else I read about Austria, probably in the late 1970s. Somebody had tried to find out how the former Austrian Nazis and the former Austrian resistance fighters were doing in then-present day Austria. According to the findings, the former Nazis generally thrived and were respected members of society, while the former resistance fighters were usually disliked, shunned and financially bad off. Yep, no wonder the poor secretary is afraid of becoming a "resistance fighter"!)

I'm so glad that Lois really had her own near-rape on tape, and I was moved by how Clark supported her and was there for her when she listened to it.

This surprised me:

Even if I didn't have that tape as evidence, I wouldn't let him get away with it."

"I'm with you, a thousand percent, but this won't be easy."
This won't be easy? With that unbelievably damning evidence of the near-rape on tape, coupled with the taped evidence how Snodgrass supported Paul and dismissed Lois, it should be a piece of cake to get Paul convicted and Snodgrass fired. Shouldn't it?

"It's a Kryptonian thing, but the second you bumped into me at journalism camp, I knew I'd met the woman I was going to marry and spend my life with. Remember the letter from my mom about the message Jor-El gave to them?"

Lois nodded.

"One thing I never told you was that Kryptonians are telepathic..."

"You told me that."

"I know, but apparently part of being telepathic means *knowing* when you meet your life mate, soul mate, whatever you want to call it.
This was absolutely incredibly beautiful. Wonderful! So that's why Clark has been so sure all the time that Lois is the woman for him! sloppy

Well, now I want to see Lois and Clark take down Professor Paul together!

Ann

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by TOC:
With that unbelievably damning evidence of the near-rape on tape, coupled with the taped evidence how Snodgrass supported Paul and dismissed Lois, it should be a piece of cake to get Paul convicted and Snodgrass fired. Shouldn't it?
Nope, not in much of the USA. In many states the tape is inadmissible. Oh it will protect the Planet from a lawsuit but it can't be used in a criminal prosecution.

Table of the various states. Hmm, New Troy seems to be missing.

One case

Framework4
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Actually, that depends on the state. In the series, Lois and Clark were able to use a tape to trap that sleazy lawyer in Church of Metropolis. I would think that in New Troy a tape recording might very well be admissible, especially if they have other evidence as well.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This Snodgrass guy is scum. Just as bad as Paul if he lets this kind of thing happen and then covers it up. mad

I'm so glad Lois and Clark found the tape, even if poor Lois did have to listen to it all over again. Whether or not the tape is admissible in court, at the very least it clears Lois' reputation. And hopefully, it will be enough to get those other poor scared girls to come forward.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Making things inadmissible in court is to prevent abuse of power by the authorities. Actions by a private party aren't usually covered I think. They can be charged with the crime of taping without permission of course.

A
Features Writer
Features Writer
A
Carol, this was wonderful!

As painful as it was for Lois to listen to the tape, it gave us the wonderful opportunity to see what Clark was thinking during that time.

Snodgrass is truly evil. I actually think he may be worse than Paul. While there is a possibility that Paul has some sort of mental illness, or something happened in his past to make him this way, it's hard to believe either of those could be true about Snodgrass. (As a note, I don't think either of those make Paul innocent, just possibly less evil than Snodgrass.) Snodgrass is just someone who doesn't want his reputation tarnished by having these rapes come out.

It reminds of a newspaper article when I was in college (and as much as I hate to date myself, I should say this was about 15 years ago, and I'm sure Brown is very different now). It was about Brown University and while maybe it was just because it was my first year in college, but from my perspective, the issue of acquaintance or date rape was becoming more and more well known as the primary cause of rape (rather than the random man coming out of the bushes stories).

At Brown, there was a women's bathroom where women kept a list of men on campus who had date raped them as a warning for other women. For reasons Brown refused to explain, that bathroom seemed to get cleaned more often than others and particular care was taken to remove "graffiti" which was generally ignored in other bathrooms. The list would reappear a few days later and the whole thing would start again.

This thing with Snodgrass just reminds me of that - I think it was well understood at the time that Brown wanted to keep it's reputation as a college with high academic standards in a nice area of the country and feared that this list made the college seem unsafe, when in fact, it's unlikely date rape happened any more frequently at Brown than anywhere else - what made Brown unsafe at the time was the knowledge that likely there were no repercussions for the perpetrators allowing them to date rape multiple women.

Blogger
Blogger
Nan is correct on the law here. It varies by state, and may vary depending on whether it's a criminal case or a civil lawsuit. Quite a few states will admit recordings made as long as ONE party to the conversation was aware it was being done.

[Pick up the U.S. Constitution sometime. Article I, Section 8, clauses 1 through 18 lays out the specific powers of Congress. Anything not on that list is automatically a matter of state law. It's that simple.]

BUT THIS IS FICTION! New Troy can have any set of laws that Carol wants it to have, for heaven's sake. And the tape should certainly do a lot to make the University Administration look stupid (and arrogant, and possibly criminal), and put a little tarnish onto Prof. Paul's "sterling" reputation.

Oh, right, feedback. Sorry for the tangent, there. I'm still loving the story. I love seeing Lois and Clark finally finding their way back to the "you and me against the world" sensibility that they had in the very beginning.

Now I'm very curious about who has been trashing Clark's reputation, and why. My money is on Mayson, motivation wounded pride. But we haven't really met Linda yet, so...

This is a great ride. I hope we're nowhere near the end!!

Peace, Carolyn
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I came looking for Jenni's story, and stumbled across this first. I haven't read LNC fic in a long time, but something about this just caught me. It's a nice little AU, and I'm looking forward to the next update.

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Again, great stuff, Carol. And of course:

WOOOHOOOO on the tape recorder.

And on the funny side note:
Some variation has made it into the fic unless my BRs tell me to take it out - but then you can blame them
Aawwww blush And Carol, nfic isn't just for smut, it's also for violence smile
Somebody is going to ge-et it. Somebody is going to ge-et it.
evil

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Columnist
Columnist
I finally got caught up on all the posted parts, wow what a story!

I was glad to see Clark explain to Lois about his faith in them and how he knows that they are meant to be.

Really looking forward to the next past.

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Still a powerful story. I found I couldn't read the sections from the tape recorder; it was too painful to go through a second time, so I only read Clark's responses to it.

I wasn't surprised at the secretary's reticence to become a whistle-blower. In many ways it isn't just Paul that is the problem here; her boss is knowingly covering up serial crime. However, he is a known entity. It must be frightening to consider what would happen if her workplace is brought down in scandel. Would she even have a job left when the smoke cleared?

Also, even assuming the tape is admissable in court, it still isn't easy. Many women have said that the court proceedings are like being raped all over again. The attorney for the defense is paid to ensure that his client appears innocent, no matter what the cost. So allegations might be made that the tape was doctored to make an innocent conversation appear guilty by a moneyhungry woman and her husband. It is also possible that the evidence is thrown out for other purposes. The smoking gun is always the most fought over piece of evidence in a courtroom. This won't be an easy piece to have admitted.

Elisabeth

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
ARGH!!!! I was all the way down to Laura and lost it all. Sheesh! Let's see if I can recreate it... [as DH pulls in with dinner... I would have been done!]

Thanks again!

Sheila - I'm glad I could help you procrastinate wink . I take any excuse I can get. I forget what else I said, except to ask if I could have a Pepsi and birthday cake instead.

Ann - Yes, you mentioned Joseph Fritzl a few segments ago when you compared what he did to Clark not telling Lois about himself for three months. While I'm still not sure the comparison is accurate here, it certainly is much closer. We'll see more from the secretary later. As mentioned in the posts later in the thread, law varies by state about audio evidence. However, as soon as my betas give me the go ahead, I think I've got it worked out. Even in the 80s, audio could be edited and so isn't necessarily a slam dunk.

Framework, Nan, DCarson - thank you for your input on the audio smile .

Rona - It should at least clear her reputation - you're right about that.

Anon - That's an interesting way to look at those two. That thing at Brown... sad that they kept covering it up. At least the women tried to keep it up.

Carolyn - thank you for your input as well. We will see more of Mayson and Linda in the next few chapters. The ends thing... well, I just finished 19-7 [because chapter 19 was supposed to cover all of this and so the file named chapter 20 picks up... a year from now? Something like that]. There's another... 6? chapters written after that and another one that says something like 'these three things need to happen' [which is strikingly similar to chapter 19 in that sense] and so may take a number of chapters to tell. I'm guessing in the 40 range, but not sure yet, but probably over 35.

Laura - *waves* LTNS!! Thank you! Glad to have you on board!

Michael - interesting wink . However, we're not actually talking violence here... just thought of it. I can't imagine Clark actually doing any of those things [unless maybe it's the Clark/Dark Clark in Imbroglio or something].

cp33 - Thank you!

Elisabeth - [I said this in response to someone else's post when I did this the first time, but I don't remember who so here it is wink ]. Originally, this was where Clark found out about the rumors about himself and Mayson and what Lois believed about it. Then the whole thing in Colorado just wrote itself. The secretary will come back soon and we'll find out more about what she thought etc.

Thanks again everyone! Look for the next part tomorrow! [Or maybe very late tonight... we'll see...]
Carol

Top Banana
Top Banana
Snodgrass is positively slimy. Loved L&C's discussion. Hey maybe Clark is right and Mayson contributed something to spread this misunderstanding across the campus, probably not though... She can't be so mean, can she?

Awaiting the next part... smile1

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
mad mad mad
If you could ever make this into a movie, I know how should play the part of Snodgrass. Armin Shimerman. His role in Buffy the Vampire slayer as Principal Snyder would make him perfect!
[Linked Image]

Yes, even with the tape, entrapment could be brought up, but the things Paul said were pretty incriminating..

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard