This whole part nearly had me in tears. Why can't we really have Superman here?

Of course, this wasn’t exactly what Lois had outlined either. She’d envisioned him doing high profile things to get noticed, so that the press would listen when he told his story. This wasn’t high profile at all, but he didn’t see that he had a choice.

It was the right thing to do.
He's really Superman. I mean, of course he his; he's Clark Kent. But just a strong flying man in a bright suit wouldn't immediately inspire hope, wouldn't rally people behind him, wouldn't stand a chance of going up against the government and getting those people released. (Wouldn't inspire action to stop the soldiers from stealing the relief goods to Myanmar?) Imagine if he were, I don't know, Guy Gardner. He'd help people, but only to show off. I'd be scared of him if he showed up in our world. Some people will be scared of Superman, too, but there will still be a tickle of hope in the back of their minds....

(Besides, anything Superman does is very quickly going to *become* high profile.)

Dr. Ledderman is going to have a whole lot of frantic thinking to do. Yeah, the concept of parallel worlds is well-studied. But now we're being faced with a world, or multiple worlds, that are *almost* *exactly* *like* *ours*. Yes, if there are parallel worlds, there are infinitely many, but frankly that just makes it *less* likely to find one that's similar to our own. This nuclear thing in Paris can't be just opening random portals; of course, I think Ledderman already suspects that.