Reviews to reviews! Whowhooo!

MrsMosley wrote:
I shouldn't read this now. I'm exhausted, it's late, I should be in bed, and if I'm going to read a fic, there are others that I am behind on FDKing... but I can't, just can't, shut down my computer knowing there is a new chapter of DD sitting in here that I haven't read!
Hm. That's how I am all the time, except that I'm the one doing the writing and I just CAN'T SEEM TO STOP sometimes. Or with reviews. Or responding to reviews. That's why I'm sitting here right now at 1 am and grinning like an idiot over everyone's lovely feedback. Because I'm addicted. There are so many other things I should be doing, but you know . . . they can wait. Hehe.

I love that you infused so much emotion and meaning into this little, tiny event. You don't even answer the question, but we know the answer anyway: it's because Lois realizes that Clark has lost something - a piece of that beautiful innocent naivte is gone forever.
To tell you the truth, I was as surprised as Lois when she lifted up the pot and the key was gone. Quite a shocker to both of us, and I, at least, came to the same conclusion. Lois may not realize it at the conscious level, but she understands what it means too. Poor Clark.

You did so well at putting the reader right in Lois' head during her internal arguement over the journal and her first realizations about the depths of Clark's experience and character. Great job.
Thanks! I love getting in Lois's head. It's probably one of my very favorite ways to write. It's never boring in there. laugh

Thanks for your review MrsMosley! It's great to hear from you!

Woody wrote:
Loved the whole thing and how Lois found out a lot about Clark without discovering THE secret. And the phone call that hinted at it but didn't give it away.
I love Clark for *Clark*, and it's nigh about time that Lois starts doing the same thing. <hits her over the head affectionately> Still, I was right along with her during most of her internal argument on whether she was justified on being there or not.

Great chapter and I do hope there's a revelation before this story ends or we'll have to find you and release spiders in your room.
eek !!!

<runs away>

You have an amazing ability to draw out a story without making it feel stretched.
Thank you so much for saying so! I knew from the beginning how long I loved to dwell on certain topics and rehash them again and again . . . I have to admit that sometimes I worry right before posting a chapter, just because I want each one to feel like a new experience--a new growth on an old branch, perhaps. I'm certainly glad it's still working!

But where were all the questions Clark asked?
<whistles and walks away innocently>

Thanks for your review, Woody!

Alycone wrote:
I flow in and out of this story due to time constraints, but books are my thing, so I got a huge kick out of the bookshelf. I have to say that it surprises me to think of Clark owning all of Nietzsche's works. There's something reeeeeally creepy about that, he isn't exactly the nicest philosopher around. *shudder*
Yeah, but I couldn't help it. I mean, come on. You have a Superman's book shelf. It *has* to have Nietzsche. It's the same reason the Smallville writers wrote it so Clark was carrying around a copy of it in the pilot (when he's supposedly only 14 years old. Reading Nietzsche. Give me a break. <rolls her eyes>) I think someone said it later on this thread, but just because he read it doesn't mean he agrees with it.

Thanks for your review! It's great to hear from you!

Irene D. wrote:
Wow! There was so much I liked about this section. The missing key, Lois arguing with herself and gradually shifting her opinion of Clark. Her sense that she's missing something. The quote from the Scarlet Pimpernel which is one of my favourite books as well.
*waves flag* Everyone who has not read The Scarlet Pimpernel HAS to read it! It is amazing. That is all. laugh

I love the whole Lois internal debate thing myself. She really is so confused.

Thanks for your review, Irene!

Terry Leatherwood wrote:
Let's see, the Scarlet Pimpernel was the name used by an English nobleman who was working undercover to spirit French nobles away from the guillotine during the French revolution, and the woman he loved more than almost anything nearly left him because she didn't understand why he was acting so weird. She even tried to horn in on his act and help some French nobles herself and nearly got killed over it. He had to save her.

Parallels, anyone?
laugh

Hehee. I tell you, when I sat down and started writing the bookshelf scene I *knew* I had to have that passage. And of course, it's always tickled me how The Scarlet Pimpernel really is the first ever superhero in literature. In my opinion, from him descends all of our modern day, dual-identity heroes. I love it!

Really, Rachel, this is an excellent chapter. I also loved where Lois was when Clark's mother called. Lois of fandom seems to have this propensity to break into Clark's apartment and root around in his life. I wonder if she'll end up disappointed by what she's learned, and by what she doesn't know that she knows just yet.
"By what she doesn't know what she knows yet." Hehee. But in Fandom Clark so needs to have his life broken into!

How long will she wait for Kal-El? How hard will she bust his chops when he does show up, or will she try to be all lovey-dovey and tender? (Wait - Lois Lane, lovey-dovey and tender? Yikes.) But what if he doesn't show at her place and just goes home and somehow figures out that someone was in his apartment messing around with his stuff? Will he assume that Lois was the intruder? And how might he (Clark) react? Will he laugh or cry or just sigh "That's my Lois" and never mention it to her and add one more handbag to the load of emotional luggage they're hauling around?
And boy is that load getting massive, isn't it? We'll just have to see how this pans out . . . thumbsup

These two are dancing around each other like aroused porcupines on land mines. I can hardly wait to see how you resolve all this excellent tension between them.

So where's the next chapter? And how much longer are you going to yank our chains here?
Let's just say that the reason I haven't replied to many reviews yet is because . . . I've been writing. A lot. Even though I'm swamped with homework, I'm still writing a lot. In fact, I'm technically already a fair bit of the way through chapter 41. Of course, saying that, I have to say that it is definitely very rough, and most certainly not even close to post-worthy . . . but the plot events are there, for the most part. And things are going to start happening. Really. I promise!

Thanks for your review, Terry!

Lady_Mirth wrote:
I really have no time to be doing this, but seeing as this is my long-awaited chapter where Lois gets decisively taken a peg or two down, I must pop in my head long enough to say I LOVED it!!!
And I'm very glad you did! Yes, Lois is finally beginning to get her due. And it's just beginning, mind. She still has a long way to go . . .

And now I shall write my next FDK from jail as I await trial on charges of abuse of the common exclamation point.
lol.

PS 2: ADORED the bookshelf!!!
thumbsup

Thanks for your review, Lady_Mirth!

Symbolicangel wrote:
If I had more time I'd probably have a long post of feedback because there was so much in this part that I just loved. My favorite was Lois's struggle over the journal. It's so very amusing when she argues with herself.
The journal was another thing that kind of just popped out of the page at me. In fact, I think I added it as a last thought during my second-to-last quick readthrough, and I'm very glad I did. It at least made me giggle over my keyboard, and caused my family and friends to give me many a strange looks. . . but what's a girl to do? thumbsup

I have been called ( in the meanest and most insulting meaning of the terms ) a book worm by the best (and worst) of them. So, to say I LOVED Lois' investigation of Clark's books would be an understatement. Not only the variety of books and languages on his shelves, but the artistry you put into the description and her reactions was wonderful.
Heheee! Where do you think all of those books came from? I just walked over to my own bookshelf and listed a bunch that I have (even though all mine are, of course, in English). So the tone of bookworship and complete geekiness throughout that little part . . . that's me. <waves> I'm glad you liked it!

Even with that "fully justified" idea in her head she still did the right thing and stopped. I was so proud of her for throwing out the photos without even looking at them once.
Lois is a big mess of contradiction. I think you can see by the things she does like that how confused she really is, if that makes sense (my sentence structure is going to the dogs . . . It's almost 1:30 am here. . . <yawns> Sorry.)

Anyway this was a great chapter ( and this is the longest review I have ever done-- I hope I didn't babble on to much like our favorite female reporter) Looking forward to the next chapter soon.
Nonono! Never ever think a review may be too rambling. Those are usually the best kinds!

Thanks so much for your review, Mervoparkite! It was amazing.

Again, thanks everyone for their responses! They really do help a ton on the next chapter, and I love 'em!

Have a great day!

SmirkyRaven