Trust Carol to point out something I should have seen myself. Lois didn't write about Clark.

True, she was putting down her pain and frustration at not being able to do everything she felt she should have or could have done, and she was focused on her more recent history. But maybe it is significant, maybe her omission of any mention of Clark means that she has taken a mental step towards moving on. Maybe this is that "Lois moving on" story that got so much play a few weeks ago.

Even if it isn't, the damaged ring represents (to me, at least) Clark's recognition that his love for Lois has been damaged. I agree that it is still strong, still vibrant, still alive, but his image of Lois is from four years in the past. She's changed. He's changed. And neither of them can possibly anticipate how much the years have impacted both of them.

Unlike Ann, I don't see how the third part of this story can be anything but an 'angst-fest' of the highest order. But I plan to read it, because I have faith that you'll allow Lois and Clark to find their way back to each other. And even if it isn't like it was before (how oculd it be?), it will be all right.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing