Scardino was standing behind Lois; he was leaning down close to her – too close. And then...

He kissed her! Son-of-a... The opportunistic sleazeball had kissed her. And Lois had let him.

Dan’s lips began to move and Clark listened in, ‘...more chance, Lois. Please?”

Clark continued to watch, frozen in place, as Scardino pulled Lois down to the loveseat with him. He ran his hand up her leg, bunching up the fabric of her delicate, black dress. The hem of her dress lifted higher with each movement of his hand, exposing the silky smooth skin of her legs until Clark could finally make out one shapely, freshly-shaven knee, showing just below the hemline.

Clark couldn’t allow things to proceed any further. He thought he had lost Lois once to Dan. He wouldn’t let it happen again. He put his fist to the door and pounded fiercely.
Oh, yeah. Just what we all hoped for in a date... er, interview with Dan.

“Clark. What are you doing here?” she asked, putting a little breathiness into her voice.

The tic was working in his jaw.
And that, too. That definately made the "date" worth it.

“I don’t know,” Clark mused. “Several species of insects live and die in a month’s time.” He gave Lois a pointed look. “It seems that a lot of things can live... or die... in a month’s time.”

His meaning wasn’t lost on her. If their love, their relationship, had died, it was because of him, not her. certainly wasn’t her fault. “Yeah, and some tortoises live to be over a hundred, just goes to show you that some things last longer than others,” she quipped.
Touche. I love the way they argue around you two, DJ and Sue.

And then he did something that totally caught her off guard.

He kissed her.

He bridged the remaining distance between their bodies before her mind even registered she could register what was happening. He wrapped his arms firmly around her and drew her in for a forcefully passionate kiss.

The kiss caught her so unawares that she stumbled backward, the bend of her knees backing up to her coffee table. Clark’s arms tightened around her, steadying her as his hands smoothed urgently over her back and shoulders.
I didn't see this one coming.

Lois forced herself to focus and let her mind take control once again. He was not going to treat her emotions like a yo-yo. He had to make a clear choice.

She tried to pull back from him but he didn’t seem to want to let her go. She finally broke contact with his lips long enough to utter a single word, “No.” It came out as a soft cry, sounding a little sorrowful as if it were mourning the death of something.

That broke the spell. He pulled back from her, his eyes filled with concern. “No?” His heart clenched tightly in his chest, berating him for the fool he was.

“I can’t. I can’t do this, Clark. It’s not fair. You have no idea how much part of me wants to. The part of me who remembers loving you... like it was yesterday. Then there’s this other part of me – the part that knows the truth. And that part of me says that I can’t do this.” She stepped away from him, straightening and smoothing her clothes. “Like I said before – you can’t have it both ways. We’re either together or we’re not. And you said we’re not.”
Finally, the voice of wisdom speaks.

Do you want a second chance? Prove it to me tomorrow. I’m editing my journal. – Lois
Love it. I especially love how she leaves out the specifics. He doesn't know exactly what she will or won't know tomorrow, so he definately needs to be prepared to be honest about everything.

Another great section.

Elisabeth