And Mercy said:
The plan after that is to be highly underpaid as a postdoc and pay off loans, work like mad on pumping out publications so I can get a faculty position, then spend the last of my child-bearing years trying to earn tenure instead.
ROFL! I hear you. I have the same plan, just in the humanities. You think it's bad in science, try being one of us. Although, I have been fortunate to not be in debt up until now thanks to killing myself for fellowship money and the occasional chance to teach the ungrateful masses how to communicate outside the country.

I actually had a real job once. It was a great job, lots of opportunities and wonderful people. But, it wasn't for me. I decided I'd like to be paid a mere pittance to speak more languages than a UN translator. I also traded a personal life for the chance to tip-toe through the political minefield that is academia in the hopes of someday achieving that gold medal that is tenure.

Strangely enough, I actually love what I do...most days. I wouldn't mind a raise, though.

**~~**

Swoosh --->