I just signed my 8yo up for the Young Writer's Program. I know it's late in the month but she has a project she's been writing for several weeks. She MAY have started it in October but I'm not sure. I don't think so. She's writing a chapter book about a bird family and the new baby brother wink .

She's even illustrating it!

As a 2nd grader, her word count goal is only 2000 words and while she's not home so I can't look at her notebook, it would surprise me if she's not close to halfway there already.

She loves to read and write and I'm going to talk to her as soon as she gets home about whether or not she wants to do it. If so, she gets to go with me tonight when I go to a local restaurant and have my own mini-writein [though she may get brought home early as I'm planning on staying till 10 =D - or I could bring an extra laptop, a movie and headphones for her if she gets tired of writing]. She doesn't type but as I should be done in the next couple of days, typing it up for her real quick shouldn't be much of an issue. You can enter your word count manually but you only get the cool prizes if you validate with their validator and for that it must be typed.

She could even get a free copy of her book too smile . And I could set it to sell on Amazon wink . Okay, probably not, but I could get a few copies for grandmas and grandpas for Christmas!

Anyway... I'm off to write for about 40m before she gets home, then clean the LR, then make dinner etc, then go to my own little write in smile .