Originally posted by Schoolmarm:
On the subject of speaker attributions, I think it's important to remember why writers use them -- to let the reader know who said what. So you don't even need an attribution for every line of dialogue. As someone said, it's annoying to read:

"Clark, I can't find the Wilson file," Lois said.

"Gee, Lois, I can't remember where you put it either," Clark said.

"Well, I need it to finish this story," Lois said.

One way to avoid a string of "saids" is to either make the dialogue clear as to who is speaking.
I love these discussions and thought I'd take a second to jump in. smile

On another writers' list that I'm on, they've been harping on how you should always use "said," how it's the only acceptable way, blah, blah, blah... (can you tell I'm not in complete agreement? wink ) but like others here have mentioned, I think eliminating "groaned" and "whispered," etc. entirely could potentially lose a writer's voice, not to mention reading as boring copy. wink

I have, however, learned a fun alternative, and the more I use it, the more I find myself loving it! Here's what I do. Sure, use "said" more often than the "groaned," or "whispered" to appease those who are adamant about those things. wink But I still throw in those more fun descreptive words, AND something fun like this (using previous example):

Lois rummaged frantically through the papers on her desk. "Clark, I can't find the Wilson file."

Clark's brow furrowed in concentration. "Gee, Lois, I can't remember where you put it either."

"Well, I need it to finish this story!" Lois finally stopped rummaging and threw her hands in the air.

There. I avoided the "said" (I'll use it sparingly later in the story wink ), but I also think the description not only tells the reader who's talking, but gives a great mental image of what's going on *while* they're talking. That may not be everyone's cup of tea, I understand, but as a reader, I love that. Imagery is my very favorite thing in a book. (Okay, as long as it's not used to *death* laugh )

Anyway, that's my .02 on the subject. smile

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~