It's funny you should be worrying about the fight, Annie -- I had just been thinking that this one worked a lot better than the original smile It's not unusual for Lois to obsess over Superman. It is unusual for Clark to yell at her about it -- and that's explained perfectly now.

And I liked that she realized that she *wasn't* mooning over Superman, just curious about the activities of a friend. I have a vague memory that last time through, she did get into a few romantic fantasies before the fight shocked her into her senses. I like her better now that she's not two-timing Clark wink After that bar scene, it would have seemed terribly shallow of her.

As you can perhaps tell, I'm greatly enjoying this repost, Annie! smile It's always been a fun story, and you've only made it better.

And then this --
Clark’s chest constricted as he listened to her heartfelt declaration. Hearing her say that she loved him was bittersweet. They were the words he’d longed to hear from her from the moment he’d met her, but she didn’t mean them in the way he wished she did. He was grateful for – treasured – her friendship. He cherished her trust in him. But he craved her love. Having her in his arms, telling him that she loved him, was the most painful pleasure he could imagine.
-was so incredibly poignant. That's what I call a wistful, heartwrenching, agonizing moment wink

PJ
who kinda preferred the old meaning of "wham"...

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K