Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Toomi8 FDK - Aftershocks - 05/09/21 03:14 AM
Summary: Set during 'House of Luthor,' beginning as the wedding is stopped/interrupted, and Clark escapes the Kryptonite cage, this story takes a different turn.

I always thought Clark recovered awfully quickly from being inside the cage for so long. In GGOH, his parents had to help him inside after a short exposure, and when he grasps the Kryptonite to throw it, you can hear a 'sizzling' as though it's burning his skin. Those experiences fueled this version of events.

I'm not completely sure on the etiquette for naming fics here. I found one in the archive from 2013 with the same title, and do have a backup title if it is considered poor taste to duplicate the title.

I've been sitting on this for about a year, at least this first chapter. It was written and then sat for a while, not sure where I wanted to take it as it seemed lonesome as a stand alone. Over the last several months, it's morphed into something more!

Part one is here
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/09/21 07:18 AM
There are several fics with similiar or even the same titles. I don't think that's a problem.

This was a nice start and a take on this episode that I haven't seen yet in quite this way. Usually, adaptions with Clark needing longer to recover from kryptonite exposure have him meet Lois pretty early on.

You've got me hooked. I'm eagerly waiting for the next installment.
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/09/21 04:26 PM
Nicely done. thumbsup

Clark used that time to take stock of himself. His hands had burn marks on them from grasping the bars of the Kryptonite cage, as did his wrists, arms, and he had one particularly long burn down his right side from reaching for the key. With his powers gone, his Suit was no longer protected by his aura, so it too had scorch marks from the Kryptonite bars. He needed to escape, and find a disguise so he could get back home without anyone recognizing him. It wasn’t often he left home in the Suit without a change of clothes, but last night he had, never imagining the outcome. Escape first, he told himself. He could berate himself later, and find out how Luthor got hold of Kryptonite.

Since Kryptonite is radioactive, it makes perfect sense that it would cause burns on Superman's skin. The descriptions here cause the reader to actual feel those painful radioactive lesions. Brilliant touch about him leaving without his civilian clothing.

“I’ll stay here if one of you could go find Henderson.” Clark didn’t have the energy to run around and find him himself, and hoped that neither officer would question his strength at that moment. He was resisting the urge to sit, but the sun was now directly overhead the narrow alley they were in, and he was starting to feel stronger, the headache lessening, and his stomach had settled. Thankfully, the one officer left, and the one remaining was too busy trying to catch a glimpse of what was happening towards the street, to pay him any attention.

Sunlight is helping him to heal, but the exposure is not nearly long enough. Poor Clark! mecry

The dress pants were just long enough, but a bit big around the waist, and the long sleeved shirt, was the right length for his arms, but also, too large around the midsection. Thankfully, he found a belt, and added the sports coat. There was a pair of black slip on shoes, and a ball cap, which he pulled low over his face. He folded the suit and cape carefully, tucking his boots inside, wondering what to do with them. He couldn’t walk of the station carrying a tattered Superman suit! He quickly undid the belt, untucked the shirt, and stuffed the Suit underneath, moving it around until it sat on his waist. He grinned as he forced the zipper of the coat closed. No one would suspect who he was with a large belly, but he would have to keep the hat low. His face was too recognizable to go without it, and when he’d left the previous day, he hadn’t taken any of Clark’s belongings with him, including his glasses.

Henderson is no slouch, he will figure out that there is more to Clark's friendship with Superman than meets the eye. But in this crisis the laconic detective is the best person for him to turn to. Oh man a third identity! What a hoot!

I like this new angle of the aftereffects from long-term exposure to the Kryptonite cage. Looking forward to see where it will lead all of us.

Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/10/21 12:11 AM
Really enjoying this so far ^_^ I too often thought his recovery times seemed to be extremely inconsistent, but then so is his reactions to red kryptonite . . . Granted, I like the variety there, but anyway, looking forward to where you take this, especially with Henderson knowing Superman has been hurt.

Maybe reading this will help me finish up my own ending of House of Luthor that I started a few months ago, so thanks again for writing this laugh.
Posted By: cuidadora Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/10/21 03:16 AM
Glad you are undertaking this issue. I also thought that Clark's response to green kryptonite was inconsistent in the show. Glad to see another story dealing with the consequences of that cage in a more realistic scenario. I always wondered how Clark changed his clothes without his superpowers in that episode. It will be interesting to see how his absence from the street affects everyone else. Hopefully, he can beat the gang to his apartment and become Clark again before they arrive.

I also have a story that addresses this topic languishing unfinished on my drive. Minds thinking alike... lol
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/10/21 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by bakasi
There are several fics with similiar or even the same titles. I don't think that's a problem.
Phew! I really preferred this title!

You've got me hooked. I'm eagerly waiting for the next installment.

Awesome! Thanks for commenting, and there will be more soon!
Originally Posted by Morgana
Nicely done. thumbsup

I like this new angle of the aftereffects from long-term exposure to the Kryptonite cage. Looking forward to see where it will lead all of us.

I can only say... wait and see!!! whistle

Originally Posted by Blueowl
Really enjoying this so far ^_^ I too often thought his recovery times seemed to be extremely inconsistent, but then so is his reactions to red kryptonite . . . Granted, I like the variety there, but anyway, looking forward to where you take this, especially with Henderson knowing Superman has been hurt.

Thanks for reading!

Maybe reading this will help me finish up my own ending of House of Luthor that I started a few months ago, so thanks again for writing this laugh.

Look forward to reading it hyper
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/10/21 03:32 AM
Originally Posted by cuidadora
Glad you are undertaking this issue. I also thought that Clark's response to green kryptonite was inconsistent in the show. Glad to see another story dealing with the consequences of that cage in a more realistic scenario. I always wondered how Clark changed his clothes without his superpowers in that episode. It will be interesting to see how his absence from the street affects everyone else. Hopefully, he can beat the gang to his apartment and become Clark again before they arrive.

I also have a story that addresses this topic languishing unfinished on my drive. Minds thinking alike... lol

Thanks for reading!

Looking forward to reading your version smile
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/10/21 04:58 AM
Hey Toomi8 wave

Very interesting take. I'm always intrigued by HOL stories and how they might differ. Do you have a posting schedule in mind?

Also, as others have mentioned don't worry about using the same title. It's done often. As long as it works for your fic then go for it. wink
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/10/21 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by folc4evernaday
Hey Toomi8 wave

Very interesting take. I'm always intrigued by HOL stories and how they might differ. Do you have a posting schedule in mind?

Also, as others have mentioned don't worry about using the same title. It's done often. As long as it works for your fic then go for it. wink

Hmmm.. hadn't really considered a schedule... I have a good chunk written, need to figure out how to split it into chapters, and was hoping to do one per week, more if I get further ahead.

And, thanks for reading!!! smile1
Posted By: folc4evernaday Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/11/21 03:43 AM
Originally Posted by Toomi8
Hey Toomi8 wave

Hmmm.. hadn't really considered a schedule... I have a good chunk written, need to figure out how to split it into chapters, and was hoping to do one per week, more if I get further ahead.

And, thanks for reading!!! smile1

Hey Toomi8 wave

So, typically when you have a multi-chapter fic. Typically your mid / epic-length fic it's a good practice to pick a day to establish as your posting schedule so readers know when to expect the next chapter. This helps readers know when to look for the next part and is helpful as an author to know when you need to have your chapter ready for posting. I usually will pick a day to post on for my epics either once a week or once every two weeks depending on RL and such. Common courtesy is to try and avoid posting at the same time as another author if possible to give them a chance to receive FDK and such. (Not required but just good manners/practice).

I hope that helps some with regard to posting schedules. wink
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/15/21 02:44 AM
Hey Toomi8 wave

So, typically when you have a multi-chapter fic. Typically your mid / epic-length fic it's a good practice to pick a day to establish as your posting schedule so readers know when to expect the next chapter. This helps readers know when to look for the next part and is helpful as an author to know when you need to have your chapter ready for posting. I usually will pick a day to post on for my epics either once a week or once every two weeks depending on RL and such. Common courtesy is to try and avoid posting at the same time as another author if possible to give them a chance to receive FDK and such. (Not required but just good manners/practice).

I hope that helps some with regard to posting schedules. wink

Gotcha.

I have a weird job, with very strange highs and lows. While the last year has been one wild high, I'm about to enter an insanely busy period.... So, I'd like to try posting on Fridays, but it might be Monday's, or even the odd Saturday. It all depends on how crazy my week has been, which should settle in mid-July (please... I hope so...). Next time I'll think further ahead before beginning something right before I'm about to get my rear handed to me for a bit!!!!
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/15/21 03:08 AM
Part 2 is posted!
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/15/21 07:33 PM
He found the remote on the ground in the debris of the damaged barrels, and clicked the top button. When nothing happened, he tried the second button, and the glowing ceased. Henderson left with the remote, sending others down to the cellar to gather any evidence, and to arrange for someone to come look at the cage, an unspoken agreement between himself and the officer to never mention the green glow again.

Good explanation as to what happened to the Kryptonite cage. That fellow officer has got to be related to a clam for him to never mention what he and Henderson saw in the wine cellar.
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/17/21 01:12 AM
Sweet. Glad Clark was able to call Henderson, and really glad Henderson has some people he can trust. Looking forward to what happens next and if anyone will connect Clark to Superman. ^_^
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/20/21 01:53 PM
Good explanation as to what happened to the Kryptonite cage. That fellow officer has got to be related to a clam for him to never mention what he and Henderson saw in the wine cellar.

There's only so much a show can show in their time slot, giving us lots to work with! The end of HOL seemed to tie up super quickly, and I get that they were focused on the Lois/Clark relationship, but the Kryptonite cage seemed like such a large loose end. Thanks for reading!

Sweet. Glad Clark was able to call Henderson, and really glad Henderson has some people he can trust. Looking forward to what happens next and if anyone will connect Clark to Superman. ^_^

smile Part 3 will be posted tomorrow, unless it keeps snowing and I'm sent home from work early, then it'll be tonight!
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/20/21 03:50 PM
Just realized that I didn't leave feedback, yet. It's intersting to see Henderson's perspective here. Of course I'm dying to know how poor Clark is doing. Waiting for tommorrow!!
Posted By: cuidadora Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/20/21 05:48 PM
Excellent chapter. I enjoyed reading Henderson's perspective. I'm wondering where Perry dropped off Jack and Jimmy, and if Clark's apartment, did he beat them there. Looking forward to more.

I do have one suggestion. You might consider placing a link to this comments thread at the end of each chapter, since at least for the first two you are posting in separate threads, and the second chapter has no link. That way, if the comments get separated from the story, it's easier for readers to find and leave comments.
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/22/21 03:39 AM
Excellent chapter. I enjoyed reading Henderson's perspective. I'm wondering where Perry dropped off Jack and Jimmy, and if Clark's apartment, did he beat them there. Looking forward to more.

I do have one suggestion. You might consider placing a link to this comments thread at the end of each chapter, since at least for the first two you are posting in separate threads, and the second chapter has no link. That way, if the comments get separated from the story, it's easier for readers to find and leave comments.

Thanks for the suggestion! I have added it to the bottom of the chapter.
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/22/21 03:44 AM
Just realized that I didn't leave feedback, yet. It's intersting to see Henderson's perspective here. Of course I'm dying to know how poor Clark is doing. Waiting for tommorrow!!

When this story was idling in a scribbler (because I hadn't deemed it worthy of a computer write up yet!), I couldn't figure out how to get beyond the first chapter. It was Henderson's perspective that launched the rest of the fic, surprisingly. He originally wasn't going to be a 'participant,' yet ended up being my personal catalyst.

Psst..... Part 3 is up smile
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/23/21 01:00 AM
Oh goodness. I wonder if Henderson has figured it out....
Perry is so great.
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/23/21 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Toomi8
When this story was idling in a scribbler (because I hadn't deemed it worthy of a computer write up yet!), I couldn't figure out how to get beyond the first chapter. It was Henderson's perspective that launched the rest of the fic, surprisingly. He originally wasn't going to be a 'participant,' yet ended up being my personal catalyst.

I know that phenomenon all too well. Happened to me quite a few times. I was stuck with To Love and To Lose until Lois suddenly decided that she'd figure out Clark's secret early on in the story. And all of a sudden Clark was forced to talk to her, which he'd refused until then.

Okay, now to your story. I like how Perry and Henderson protect Clark. I think they've both figured out his secret. You've really got me hooked. I'm already biting my nails waiting for the next installment.

Great work!
Posted By: cuidadora Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/23/21 09:00 PM
Excellent chapter! clap

Glad to see Henderson and Perry both taking charge and protecting Clark. Lois may have a rough time dealing with her naivete, and the choices she made. It will be interesting to see how long she can wait for answers to Clark's injuries, and how Clark reacts when he recovers enough to face her with her probably relentless questioning. I've always thought exploring the repercussions of the cage and Luthor's suicide interesting, since each author comes up with a unique perspective. Looking forward to more.
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/24/21 09:57 PM
I like how Perry and Henderson protect Clark. I think they've both figured out his secret. You've really got me hooked. I'm already biting my nails waiting for the next installment.

Great work!

You'll have to wait an see jump

Excellent chapter! clap

Glad to see Henderson and Perry both taking charge and protecting Clark. Lois may have a rough time dealing with her naivete, and the choices she made. It will be interesting to see how long she can wait for answers to Clark's injuries, and how Clark reacts when he recovers enough to face her with her probably relentless questioning. I've always thought exploring the repercussions of the cage and Luthor's suicide interesting, since each author comes up with a unique perspective. Looking forward to more.

Glad you are enjoying it!

As it's a holiday here, and absolutely pouring, I posted an extra chapter for the week.... Part 4
Posted By: Bitten Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/25/21 04:34 PM
An extra chapter? Very blessèd grin

I like how you're rotating through different perspectives. I think it was utilized especially well for Henderson to establish his line of thought for what happened to Clark. As I was reading through, I thought Henderson would jump and get that Clark is Superman, but it makes sense that he doesn't come to that conclusion. Also, it very interesting to see how actions get interpreted differently—Clark thinking that he's successfully hidden his burns, and Henderson being able to see right through him.

I'm loving how weighty everything feels. Thick with dramatic tension and all that:
Fighting tears, he headed back to bed, idly wondering, if his powers never returned, perhaps he would never have to wear glasses again.

Oof. May his powers return soon. Or not wink
Posted By: L Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/25/21 05:41 PM
My favorite trope, and you are handling it beautifully. thank you!
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/25/21 11:36 PM
Good tension. Good characterization for Clark, Perry, and Bill Henderson. Lois is in character too, but so far she's played more of a secondary role. Maybe that will change in the next couple of installments. And yes, you are handling this situation quite ably.

I'm enjoying this one a lot. And I see a Kerth nomination it it's future.

Though I haven't seen it, someone may have already mentioned this to you. The convention (and I stress that it is indeed convention and not a requirement) is to place a blue arrow in front of the story parts so they stand out a bit from other posts. I almost missed chapter 3 because I forgot you hadn't used them before. I'll find the next chapters, though, whether they're marked or not.

Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/26/21 07:04 PM
Yay, another chapter so soon! I liked that we got to see more of Clark, this time. And we caught a glimpse of AngryClark, which is a rare sight, but in this setting very believable. I still think that Henderson knows more than he's letting on, even to Clark. He must have noticed that the wounds are not only similar but identical. But I like that he's not telling Clark, either.

The first encounter between Lois and Clark was not very pleasant, but I seriously hope that Lois will try again.

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat.

Keep the posts coming!
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/27/21 10:06 AM
What a great story! The last three paragraphs were powerful. The point about the glasses made me want to cry.
Posted By: cuidadora Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/28/21 11:21 AM
What a powerful chapter!

Glad to see Henderson and Clark's viewpoints. Nice hint about how little or much Clark may know about the wedding's ending.

“You shouldn’t leave a spare key in such an obvious place. You never know who can let themselves in.”

I cringed when reading this, Lois having her usual sharp retort, not realizing just how much she is in the wrong on several levels. I thought Clark restrained himself admirably. Thanks for including his thoughts, which were heartbreaking.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this.
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/29/21 02:57 AM
Originally Posted by L
My favorite trope, and you are handling it beautifully. thank you!

Glad you are enjoying, and thanks for reading and commenting smile

Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
Good tension. Good characterization for Clark, Perry, and Bill Henderson. Lois is in character too, but so far she's played more of a secondary role. Maybe that will change in the next couple of installments. And yes, you are handling this situation quite ably.

I'm enjoying this one a lot. And I see a Kerth nomination it it's future.

Though I haven't seen it, someone may have already mentioned this to you. The convention (and I stress that it is indeed convention and not a requirement) is to place a blue arrow in front of the story parts so they stand out a bit from other posts. I almost missed chapter 3 because I forgot you hadn't used them before. I'll find the next chapters, though, whether they're marked or not.

Hi Terry!

Thank you for the comments about the characterization. I feel as though I'm still getting the hang of writing for certain characters, and am glad to hear that so far it's good.

I added the arrow. At first I had no idea what you meant, but it is much easier to spot new chapters with the little blue arrows!

And thank you for the compliment! That is high praise blush

Yay, another chapter so soon! I liked that we got to see more of Clark, this time. And we caught a glimpse of AngryClark, which is a rare sight, but in this setting very believable. I still think that Henderson knows more than he's letting on, even to Clark. He must have noticed that the wounds are not only similar but identical. But I like that he's not telling Clark, either.

The first encounter between Lois and Clark was not very pleasant, but I seriously hope that Lois will try again.

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat.

Keep the posts coming!

Yes, AngryClark. He can't be easygoing and pleasant all the time! Especially after what he's been through, poor guy!

What a great story! The last three paragraphs were powerful. The point about the glasses made me want to cry.

Thanks for reading blush

What a powerful chapter!

Glad to see Henderson and Clark's viewpoints. Nice hint about how little or much Clark may know about the wedding's ending.

“You shouldn’t leave a spare key in such an obvious place. You never know who can let themselves in.”

I cringed when reading this, Lois having her usual sharp retort, not realizing just how much she is in the wrong on several levels. I thought Clark restrained himself admirably. Thanks for including his thoughts, which were heartbreaking.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this.

That was a cringe worthy line. I actually hated writing it, however, this next chapter will hopefully make it less cringy?
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/30/21 01:42 AM
Whoa. I definitely feel for Lois. I wonder if she's going to begin wondering where Superman is....
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/30/21 11:10 AM
Something about this story reminds me of an old x-files episode. The same story was told once from Mulder's POV and then from Scully's. I enjoyed that episode very much. It was great to get Lois' POV. I'm wondering who of the two is going to make the first step. Clark sure doesn't seem very forthcoming at the moment.
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/04/21 02:17 AM
Whoa. I definitely feel for Lois. I wonder if she's going to begin wondering where Superman is....
goofy Perhaps.... other things happen first....

Something about this story reminds me of an old x-files episode. The same story was told once from Mulder's POV and then from Scully's. I enjoyed that episode very much. It was great to get Lois' POV. I'm wondering who of the two is going to make the first step. Clark sure doesn't seem very forthcoming at the moment.

I know the episode you're speaking of... one of the Wilson brothers was in it. I remember Mulder's memory made the sheriff a bucktoothed yokel, while Scully's memory turned him into a gorgeous, intelligent man. Love X Files... I really enjoyed the new seasons... Hopefully LnC can make it happen! (There are rumors of another of my favourite shows doing a new series.... But completely unrelated to this!).

I left Lois' perspective until after everyone else had had a chance to think and act, but there's more of Lois' story to come, just not this week. wink
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/04/21 11:50 PM
Part 6 is posted!
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/05/21 02:27 AM
If he does figure it out, I wonder what he will do.....
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/05/21 02:49 AM
Ooh, this is getting good! laugh
Posted By: cuidadora Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/05/21 05:50 PM
Very intriguing. Looking forward to more.
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/05/21 09:14 PM
With each chapter, Aftershocks keeps getting better and better...

For Superman to be unavailable wasn’t something out of the ordinary, as he couldn’t be everywhere at once, and there had been no serious crimes last night to warrant his appearance, so he hadn’t been noticed as missing. Luthor’s suicide and the lack of a superhero to rescue him shouldn’t raise too many eyebrows, he assumed, especially once the newspapers exposed Luthor for what he really was. There would, of course, be those that claimed Superman purposely wasn’t available to save Luthor, just as there would be those who would proclaim Luthor was pushed from his penthouse, and the inevitable conspiracy theorists would crawl out of the woodwork, and try to do their damage. The truth would be recorded, reported on, and some would choose to ignore it, instead willing to believe the wild theories that would emerge.

Sad, but true. Look at what happened with Arianna Carlin-Luthor.

He remembered watching the press conference before Superman left to attempt to destroy Nightfall, the adoration in Superman’s eyes, directed at Lois, as Superman prepared to leave. He remembered it because it had surprised him that the superhero had shown affection for someone so openly. There had been other times when Superman showed his affection to Lois, but they were brief, and masked quickly. It was no secret that Lois Lane had been infatuated with the Man of Steel when he first arrived, and over time, a friendship had formed. But that same adoring glance was often directed Lois’ direction from Clark. Had one man, in two guises, that cared for Lois, been trapped by Luthor, and Lois had been unaware? It would answer the question of what lured Superman and Kent to the cage in the first place! Had Luthor been aware of Kent’s true identity?

He needed to sleep on this, wake with fresh eyes and rested mind, otherwise he was going to start making crazier connections than he already was.

Awww, its a shame that Henderson is divorced and lives alone. (Not even a faithful doggie to welcome him home.) frown Observing the inner workings of Inspector Henderson's mind going over the facts is refreshing. The triangle relationship of Superman/Clark Kent/Lois Lane viewed through different eyes which are very impartial. The Inspector is an intelligent man. Once he sits down and puts all the facts together he will come up with the truth. Once you eliminate the impossible, no matter how incredible the only thing left is the truth. It might be good for him to come to that conclusion. Clark might need his protection when Lois finally figures out what's going on!

Enjoying this story a bunch!
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/06/21 05:57 PM
I liked this introspective into Henderson's mind. It's very well written. Thank you.
Posted By: Crazy_Babe Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/06/21 09:22 PM
Love this look into Henderson’s mind especially and his concern for both Clark and Superman. Keep it up!
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/12/21 01:46 AM
Thanks for all the comments on part 6! It was a delight to write!

Part 7 is posted!
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/12/21 03:32 AM
Whoa.
That makes a whole lot of sense. I totally forgot about Lucy.... Dang. I wonder if they'll figure out how Luthor set that up exactly.
And poor Clark. I hope they can really talk soon.

Looking forward to more.
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/12/21 08:52 PM
It's a good thing that Lois and Clark at least talk to each other again. I like that you address the psychological effect of Clark's entrapment. I don't think I have ever read a fic that focused on that particular aspect.

Well done
Posted By: cuidadora Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/14/21 08:15 PM
I'm also finding the psychological effects of the cage on Clark intriguing. In the show, the "super" aspects of his personality often seemed to trump the real possibility that since he was raised as a human, that his psyche likely would be affected similarly to a human's. It will be interesting to see where you take this, and how soon Lois and Clark can talk, really talk, to each other.
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/18/21 02:02 PM
Part 8 is posted.
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/19/21 01:35 AM
Wow. That was harsh. Poor Lois.
And poor Clark. I hope he begins healing soon mecry
Posted By: cuidadora Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/20/21 10:23 PM
Oh, this is so sad. Two people emotionally and Clark also physically injured in need of TLC and some joy in their lives, and unfortunately neither one is able to give it to the other.

While we may never know since Lois doesn't know, it would be interesting to discover who "senior management" was that made the decision, and why Tom was given the job of telling her. What a cold-hearted, inhumane treatment she received.
Posted By: Songbird Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/22/21 02:21 AM
This is an interesting take on the end of the episode but my heart aches for Clark. The psychological damage Clark suffered is severe but I believe his resilience, courage and strength (and I don’t just mean his physical strength) will win out in the end. I don’t know where you’re going with this but he definitely needs to talk to someone. Maybe that someone will be Lois, his parents or maybe Henderson now that he’s figured it out. I can’t wait for more! Thank you!
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 06/22/21 12:01 PM
I hope that Lois will return to Clark before he's finished packing his things. Sometimes, it's also a good thing that kryptonite makes him lose his powers, or he'd already be done. I actually never wondered what happened to her job at LNN. I just figured that she had handed in her resignation. But your scenario makes a lot of sense.

Keep writing. This is good!
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 07/02/21 02:14 AM
Whoa.
That makes a whole lot of sense. I totally forgot about Lucy.... Dang. I wonder if they'll figure out how Luthor set that up exactly.
And poor Clark. I hope they can really talk soon.

Looking forward to more.
I found it odd, as Lucy and Lois were portrayed as being close, that Lucy wasn't at the wedding. I'm sure Lex would have splurged for a ticket if Lucy couldn't afford one.
It's a good thing that Lois and Clark at least talk to each other again. I like that you address the psychological effect of Clark's entrapment. I don't think I have ever read a fic that focused on that particular aspect.

Well done
I'm also finding the psychological effects of the cage on Clark intriguing. In the show, the "super" aspects of his personality often seemed to trump the real possibility that since he was raised as a human, that his psyche likely would be affected similarly to a human's. It will be interesting to see where you take this, and how soon Lois and Clark can talk, really talk, to each other.

It's something that comes up a lot in fics, I find, where Clark has a rough rescue, and Lois is there to help him out. I don't remember the episode where Lois defends Superman to Clark, saying he does the best he can, but it shows that Clark struggles with the outcomes. It would make sense that when something bad happens, like being locked in a poisonous cage by a psychopath, feeling your life drain away, knowing you're going to be killed horribly and slowly, would have some psychological affect on him... Again, not something they were going to focus on in the show as it was a much 'lighter' themed romance than dark thriller.
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 07/02/21 02:19 AM
Wow. That was harsh. Poor Lois.
And poor Clark. I hope he begins healing soon mecry
Soon, I promise.

Oh, this is so sad. Two people emotionally and Clark also physically injured in need of TLC and some joy in their lives, and unfortunately neither one is able to give it to the other.

While we may never know since Lois doesn't know, it would be interesting to discover who "senior management" was that made the decision, and why Tom was given the job of telling her. What a cold-hearted, inhumane treatment she received.
Maybe... There are some revelations still to come.
Originally Posted by Songbird
This is an interesting take on the end of the episode but my heart aches for Clark. The psychological damage Clark suffered is severe but I believe his resilience, courage and strength (and I don’t just mean his physical strength) will win out in the end. I don’t know where you’re going with this but he definitely needs to talk to someone. Maybe that someone will be Lois, his parents or maybe Henderson now that he’s figured it out. I can’t wait for more! Thank you!
He's got good people around him, but who will it be!
I hope that Lois will return to Clark before he's finished packing his things. Sometimes, it's also a good thing that kryptonite makes him lose his powers, or he'd already be done. I actually never wondered what happened to her job at LNN. I just figured that she had handed in her resignation. But your scenario makes a lot of sense.

Keep writing. This is good!
Thank you!
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 07/02/21 02:26 AM
Part 9 is posted!

Apologies for the delay in posting! I had a paper to submit which took all my brain power. Enjoy!
Posted By: Songbird Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 07/02/21 01:40 PM
Thanks for another wonderful chapter! It was worth the delay. I feel for Clark. At least he put the key back for Lois after he realized Luthor’s motives. Hopefully she’ll look when she gets there if he doesn’t answer the door. Lois’s introspection was interesting too. I always wished in the series that she had said no. I can’t wait for more! I’m hooked!
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 07/03/21 02:14 AM
I'm glad they're both beginning to think more clearly. I hope they can work together to pick up the pieces after what's happened, and I hope Clark recovers soon!
Looking forward to more smile
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 07/04/21 06:56 AM
Clark realizing that Lois has been tricked into accepting Luthor's proposal is an aspect that so far I haven't seen mentioned in other stories. At least out hadn't been so clearly stated. But it seems like a good reason for getting Lois and Clark talk to each other again.

This was a great opening to what will probably be one hell of a chapter. Looking forward to it!
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 07/16/21 09:55 PM
“My dear, we knew you were moving, but thought after what happened, you might stay?” Mrs. Tracewski asked. “This morning my husband woke up to these men trying to gain access to the building. They say they were hired to move your belongings. With all the reporters outside, my husband wanted to be sure who they were before letting them in, and they have paperwork.”

It amazes me just how much Luthor uses people like chess pieces. These movers had come to take all of Lois' personal items away, possibly never to be seen again. One has to wonder exactly what else Luthor had in mind for her after the honeymoon? He told Superman when he was in the cage that he needed to break her spirit. Frightening thought.

Please post the next part soon! grovel
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 07/24/21 04:07 AM
Part 10 is posted! I'll comment a bit more tomorrow.
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 07/24/21 04:21 PM
I loved that Lois and Clark finally talked to each other again. He is so vulnerable right now, not the confident man he usually is. I like how you portray the aftermath of Clark's captivity. I'm eagerly waiting for your next installment.
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 07/25/21 03:40 AM
It's crazy how busy life can get when you're allowed a social life again! That and the garden demands so much of my attention. Our summers are so short, we have to grab them while we can.

When I started Aftershocks, it was one chapter that had to be written, and then as I've mentioned before, sat on my hard drive for a few months. Once I started trying Henderson's perspective, the rest of the story flowed easily. As I started posting it, most chapters were written, the final three were heavily outlined, and then things changed...

The rest of the fic is now re-outlined, and being written, and I'll try to post biweekly, more frequently if I get time. Thanks for your patience over the last few weeks, and thanks again for the comments!
Posted By: Songbird Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 07/25/21 05:15 AM
This is an interesting continuation of the episode. Clark is hurting mentally and physically and needs to talk to someone. Hopefully he’ll talk to Lois and/or his parents soon. Thank you and I can’t wait for more!
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 07/27/21 12:48 AM
Wow. I hope Perry can help straighten this growing mess out before either of them can say anything else they'll regret....
Looking forward to more, and I wonder how Lois and Perry will respond when/if they discover he's Superman (assuming Perry doesn't already know).
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 07/27/21 03:22 AM
That soup was hilarious! All the ways Lois tried to make it fool-proof, and yet...

Clark. Yikes. He is definitely not well. Hopefully Perry can put some sense into him.
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 08/08/21 03:12 AM
Thanks for all of your comments!

Originally Posted by Queen of the Capes
That soup was hilarious! All the ways Lois tried to make it fool-proof, and yet...

Clark. Yikes. He is definitely not well. Hopefully Perry can put some sense into him.

hyper Yes!!! Glad you caught the soup bit.

Part 11 is posted.
Posted By: Songbird Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 08/10/21 02:23 AM
Thank you for another wonderful chapter! I can see why flying on a plane would make Clark nervous. I hope his powers come back soon. I can’t wait for more!
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 08/11/21 12:28 AM
Hmm, I suspect Perry has a long term plan? Glad he was there to redirect Lois and (sorta) sooth things over.
I also hope to see more of Jack. I feel he was under utilized in the series....
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 08/21/21 02:33 AM
Hmm, I suspect Perry has a long term plan? Glad he was there to redirect Lois and (sorta) sooth things over.
I also hope to see more of Jack. I feel he was under utilized in the series....

I really liked the character of Jack and feel it was a pity they didn't use him a little more in the second season... You will see more of him, just a bit.

Part 12 is now posted!
Posted By: Songbird Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 08/22/21 08:40 PM
Thanks for a terrific chapter!! I enjoyed it a lot but it’s also very emotional. I admit I got teary eyed for Clark. What he’s going through hurts.

Love is a powerful emotion, perhaps the strongest of them all. It can be irrational and not always make sense. It sometimes leads you to do do stupid things. Jonathan is right that when the dust settles, there can be regret which is what Lois is feeling. Jonathan is a wise man and he gave Clark a lot to think about.

Clark really needs to talk to Lois. They are both hiding a truth from the other.

I share Clark’s horror at the bright pink calamine lotion. I think we’ve all been there.

I can’t wait for the next chapter! I hope more is coming soon!
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 08/23/21 12:15 AM
I really hope they're not biting him because some of his invulnerability is coming back, that and the loud buzzing....
And hopefully he and Lois can clear some things up between them.
Looking forward to more.
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 08/27/21 04:13 AM
Thanks for a terrific chapter!! I enjoyed it a lot but it’s also very emotional. I admit I got teary eyed for Clark. What he’s going through hurts.

Love is a powerful emotion, perhaps the strongest of them all. It can be irrational and not always make sense. It sometimes leads you to do do stupid things. Jonathan is right that when the dust settles, there can be regret which is what Lois is feeling. Jonathan is a wise man and he gave Clark a lot to think about.

Clark really needs to talk to Lois. They are both hiding a truth from the other.

I share Clark’s horror at the bright pink calamine lotion. I think we’ve all been there.

I can’t wait for the next chapter! I hope more is coming soon!

Thanks for the compliment smile It was a challenging chapter to write and while Jonathan's viewpoint doesn't appear in this story, I wanted to include some of his wisdom, and have an interaction with Clark and his Dad.

I really hope they're not biting him because some of his invulnerability is coming back, that and the loud buzzing....
And hopefully he and Lois can clear some things up between them.
Looking forward to more.

wink

I will say no more....

Except... Part 13 is posted!

I am taking off for a week's camping in good ol' Saskatchewan. No chapter next week as I'll be fighting the mosquitos myself (and bringing along the bottle of calamine lotion!)
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 08/27/21 07:27 AM
Good luck on your camping trip, Toomi8. The mosquitos up there are a lot bigger and meaner than the ones we have south of the Mason-Dixon line.

This was a short chapter but still interesting. Someone is still pulling strings at LexCorp, and it may be Mrs. Cox doing the pulling. Maybe she was more involved here than in canon. It appears that she's not in police custody, unless I've missed something significant (maybe she made bail?).

I know that Lois has no real reason to suspect that CK=SM at this point, but she's going to start thinking about it very soon. I think she has a subconscious niggle in her mind that will push her toward that deduction, just as Bill has already done. Of course, he's not in love with Clark, so that isn't clouding his reasoning processes. Besides, she's still in shock at being pushed out of LNN.

Perry will get to the bottom of that mysterious "Stop that!" phone call soon, and I'd bet nickles to noodles that both Jimmy and Jack will help significantly. And, like some others, I sure hope Clark's powers come back soon. He always said he wanted a normal life, but living without his powers is analogous to a normal person being in a body cast. All the things one does without thinking are now either exceptionally difficult or impossible. Clark has to help people - it's innate in his psyche - and he can do that far better with powers than without.

Next chapter, please. Following your camping trip, of course. Enjoy whatever activities you have planned and the people with whom you have planned them. And don't come back bathed in pink. (I doubt that's a good look for you.)

Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 08/27/21 11:28 AM
Yay, another chapter. I'm sorry I didn't leave feedback on the last one.

I love this story. It's good to see Lois side again. And a Clark's emotional state in the last chapter was just heart-wrenching. Very well done
Posted By: Songbird Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 08/28/21 04:54 PM
Toomi8, thanks for a wonderful chapter! I love this story and you have me addicted. I always want more!

The “Stop that!” phone call has me intrigued. I’m sure Perry will get to the bottom of it. Maybe that call will be enough to spark Lois’s curiosity and get her interested in something again. Of course, that’s assuming Perry tells her.

I’m wondering if Henderson will hint to Clark that he knows his secret.
Clark definitely needs to talk to Lois. Henderson might just give him the nudge that he needs to tell Lois his secret.

I hope you’re having fun on your camping trip and that the mosquitoes are leaving you alone! Maybe you’ll get lucky and you won’t need the pink stuff. I’m looking forward to the next chapter after you get back!
Posted By: L Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 08/29/21 06:26 PM
This continues to be incredible. Thank you for posting it.
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 08/30/21 12:17 AM
Luthor's influence is still trickling through.... I hope they get everything squared away and that Luthor really is deaddead..... grumble

Anyway, Henderson still being Henderson cool. I hope Clark begins feeling better/super soon and that him and Lois can patch things up.
Looking forward for more.
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 09/07/21 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
Good luck on your camping trip, Toomi8. The mosquitos up there are a lot bigger and meaner than the ones we have south of the Mason-Dixon line.

This was a short chapter but still interesting. Someone is still pulling strings at LexCorp, and it may be Mrs. Cox doing the pulling. Maybe she was more involved here than in canon. It appears that she's not in police custody, unless I've missed something significant (maybe she made bail?).

Next chapter, please. Following your camping trip, of course. Enjoy whatever activities you have planned and the people with whom you have planned them. And don't come back bathed in pink. (I doubt that's a good look for you.)

Hmm... The intent was to show that Lex had arranged for Lois's departure the morning of their wedding. I've changed the sentence to read:

With trembling hands, Lois placed the receiver back in its cradle. Dave had done some digging and all he could tell her was the orders to terminate her position within LNN had come from much higher up than management. There had been nothing in her file to indicate any performance issues, or anything that would lead to such an abrupt ending of her job. The only thing he had found was a signature on the termination forms, a Mrs. Cox, dated the day she was supposed to be married.

Thankfully we saw almost no mosquitos! Regina was swarming with wasps though, so I think I'd take the mosquitos.
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 09/14/21 01:52 AM
Hello all,

Thanks for the great feedback.

Part 14 is posted. Apologies as it's so short!
Posted By: L Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 09/14/21 02:56 PM
So happy for Clark!!
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 09/14/21 07:27 PM
Yay, Clark's powers are coming back. And it looks like Lois is making an appearance soon and this time Clark might actually be wiling to talk to her. Double YAY!!! Eagerly waitng for the next chapter
Posted By: Songbird Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 09/15/21 05:52 AM
I was so happy when I saw there was a new chapter! Thank you! I’m happy for Clark. It was nice of Martha to invite Lois to visit. I hope she goes. Lois and Clark need to talk. I can’t wait for the next chapter!
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 09/18/21 04:40 PM
Part Ten

I am enjoying this story immensely! In the TV series, we viewers were treated to 'jumps' in what happened after Lex killed himself. Here, we see what took place in between the 'jumps'. For instance, Lois and Clark slowly working there way back to friendship. There are several stories that talk about them after the Daily Planet is rebuilt, but precious few which delve into their relationship before hand. Kudos to you!

“Oh, they’re not too much of a nuisance,” Lois tried to assure her, adopting a cheery tone, while trying to stop the giant lump in her throat from growing. Martha was showing more concern for her wellbeing than her own mother had. “They’ll give up soon.”

This is my one pet peeve. Ellen Lane was loud, opinionated and yes, a recovering alcoholic, but underneath all that, she did care for her daughter. Phyllis Coates appearance, although brief, showed a woman who was fiercely loyal to her child and not someone who would abandon her and spend two weeks at a spa. I would like to think she would have given those reporters milling around Lois's apartment a piece of her mind. It is a shame the writers did not allow her to become Ellen Lane rather than Beverly Garland.

Otherwise this story is awesome.

Love Perry's appearance just as the argument was getting heated. Talk about timing! laugh
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 10/06/21 03:15 AM
This is my one pet peeve. Ellen Lane was loud, opinionated and yes, a recovering alcoholic, but underneath all that, she did care for her daughter. Phyllis Coates appearance, although brief, showed a woman who was fiercely loyal to her child and not someone who would abandon her and spend two weeks at a spa. I would like to think she would have given those reporters milling around Lois's apartment a piece of her mind. It is a shame the writers did not allow her to become Ellen Lane rather than Beverly Garland.

Otherwise this story is awesome.

Love Perry's appearance just as the argument was getting heated. Talk about timing! laugh

The version of Ellen Lane I used in this fic is the Beverly Garland version, and not the Phyllis Coates version. While the Ellen Lane we meet in later seasons does show herself to be loyal to Lois, I took some liberties.... which will be explained in a later chapter.

Part Fifteen is posted! I can't believe I let so many weeks go by without an update! With our Thanksgiving this weekend, and my refusal to have a big dinner, I hope to have another chapter out within the next week.
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 10/06/21 01:42 PM
Thank you for another chapter. It's good to see that Clark is doing better, despite a few minor issues. I'm looking forward to Lois and Clark finally meeting again.
Posted By: Songbird Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 10/06/21 08:57 PM
Thank you for another wonderful chapter! You made my day! It’s good that Clark’s powers are slowly returning. Hopefully he’ll be at full power soon. It’s too bad the article Martha showed Clark didn’t mention that Lois stopped the wedding before Henderson arrived. I can’t wait for more! I’m especially looking forward to Clark and Lois meeting again! Thanks again!
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 10/07/21 01:15 AM
So happy to see another chapter ^_^

I'm glad Martha showed Clark that Lois hadn't married Luthor. I wonder how he feels about that.... And yay for powers returning!
Also very curious to see how Perry will try to help Lois and Clark reconcile.

Looking forward to more laugh
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 10/08/21 03:14 PM
The version of Ellen Lane I used in this fic is the Beverly Garland version, and not the Phyllis Coates version. While the Ellen Lane we meet in later seasons does show herself to be loyal to Lois, I took some liberties.... which will be explained in a later chapter.

I am looking forward to the explanation about Ellen's behavior later on in this cool fic. Plan on reading this latest chapter over the weekend, which I totally intend to enjoy with a glass of wine. goofy
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 10/20/21 07:50 PM
Story read. Glass of wine was sinfully delightful. Now onto my comment:

“So, what’s next?”

I was thinking the same thing. If he doesn't go back to Metropolis, will he stay with Jonathan and Martha? dizzy

Clark stood, and followed his mom into the house, sinking into the couch as she handed him the cordless phone. “It’ll be ok, Clark,” she said with another reassuring hug, before leaving him alone. Pulling out the phone book, he found the number for the airline and dialed, hoping that trusting his gut this time wouldn’t land him in trouble again.

It doesn't matter if you can't fly under your own power, as the song says, just get there!

After being informed by Martha Kent that Clark was on his way back to the city, he’d left a message on Clark’s machine, hoping he wouldn’t mind helping Jack and Jimmy out for a few days. At least, he hoped it would only be a few days.

The three of them in that tiny apartment? Even for a week, that is just a wee bit too long. I can imagine that will encourage the boys to find accommodations elsewhere, pronto!

If only Lex hadn’t barged into her life. Perry couldn’t fix that, but he could help patch things up between Lois and Clark. Picking up the receiver, he dialed Lois’ number, intending on inviting her to meet him for lunch tomorrow.

Perry, I love the way you think! Hope to see the latest installment soon!

Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 10/29/21 08:53 PM
Thank you for the feedback. Part 16 is posted and I'm hoping you'll enjoy smile

I'm a little stuck... not with the story itself, but what to do with it. Aftershocks, as it was originally outlined, has one very long, or two not quite so long, chapters remaining. However, over the summer, a sequel of sorts began to be outlined, and partially written. I'm debating between continuing this story to include the sequel, or stick with the original plan, and then have a separate sequel. When you are writing and something like this derails you, what are your thought processes? I'm usually reluctant to make major changes after an outline has been set and writing is almost finished.

Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 10/31/21 05:53 AM
Thanks for another great chapter. It's good to see that Lois and Clark are finally talking again, though Superman interruptus is at work again.

Concerning your problem, I think I'd do with finishing the first story and posting the sequel later.
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 10/31/21 04:15 PM
Oh man, lately RL is kicking my butt! Still I wanted to comment on this part. Loved it! smile1

Where had Perry gone to? He could easily hear him, but couldn’t see him. It sounded like he’d been stopped by an acquaintance and his laughter carried over the high backed seats. The server arrived with their drinks, and Clark took a sip as he heard the polite chime of the entrance, signaling a customer had either entered or exited. Clark closed his eyes and savored the taste of the hot, sweet, coffee, appreciating the hum of conversation buzzing around him in the rapidly filling café, even enjoying the polite clinking of cutlery and crockery. He sighed with contentment. He’d missed these sounds of the city a lot more than the sometimes incessant honking of vehicles.

How can he even think about leaving his adopted home?

“CK! Lois! What are you guys doing here?” Jimmy’s voice rang out over the café as he gleefully walked over towards them. Clark peered around the side of the booth to wave at Jimmy, spotting Jack several paces behind him, and noticed Perry looked startled and annoyed that the two young men were approaching. Perry hastily excused himself from his conversation and hurried over as Jimmy scooted onto a seat next to Lois.

Urgh! Jimmy has absolutely the worst timing! Jack is a lot more perceptive, its a pity he could not keep his friend from interrupting a rather important conversation. He is completely messing with Perry's carefully conceived plans.

“Great shades of Elvis,” Perry gasped as the tarp fell to the ground and revealed the large Daily Planet logo that once hung over the entrance. Clark could hear applause from Lois and several people standing around watching. He used a touch of his superhearing to catch what Mr. Stern was saying to Perry.

“We’ll start on the building next week but first I thought we’d announce to the world we’re back in business. I reconsidered your proposal, and I agree with you Mr. White. Metropolis does need the Daily Planet. Besides, one more nail in Lex Luthor’s coffin will suit me fine. I do have some ideas about modernization…”

One of the very best parts of these arch of episodes is the meeting between Mr. Stern and Perry White played by James Earl Jones and Lane Smith. These two world-class actors honed their skills on stage and screen and it shows abundantly! How I wish Mr. Stern appeared in other episodes. Watching them argue over modernizing the paper would have been a joy to behold. At least Perry would not have had to worry about some little twerp called Chip taking over his position. Seriously, have a presence like Mr. Stern around would have been a reminder to all of us that sadly, Perry does not run and own the Planet, that he has to answer to 'the suits upstairs'. Especially when one of his reporters gets out of line. Mr. Stern's powerful presence is a constant reminder of that little fact. Also, does anyone think a creep like Ralph would have been allowed to stay and harass people? Nope.

She was so close to him now, he could easily smell her perfume. It was the scent she’d worn when he’d first been partnered with her, a light citrus scent. She’d switched to something heavier, spicier, once she’d become involved with Luthor. He paused trying to determine exactly what was being said, beyond her words, attempting to shake off the distraction of her perfume and proximity to him. He needed to apologize for abandoning her, for not trying harder to be there for her when she needed someone.

Ah, let the romance begin... sloppy

He smiled fully, the dark cloud that had been hanging over him after the memory of the cage, dissipating immediately. “Friends.” Clark watched as Lois smiled briefly, before she glanced down at the ground for a moment, then tucking a her hair behind her ear once more, and adjusting her purse strap. Curious, he listened to her heartbeat, realizing she was still nervous about something.

“There’s something else we need to discuss…” she began.

So, what does she want to talk with him about? Just because Jimmy interrupted...again! thud Does not mean they cannot get together later. Right?

Posted By: Songbird Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 10/31/21 09:30 PM
Thank you for another wonderful chapter! Jimmy sure had bad timing but I’m happy Lois and Clark are finally talking. I hope Clark tells Lois he’s Superman soon.

Whether you continue this story with the sequel or stick to the original outline and have the sequel as a separate story, either would be sweet. I just can’t wait for more! I love it!
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 11/08/21 01:55 AM
Thanks for another great chapter. It's good to see that Lois and Clark are finally talking again, though Superman interruptus is at work again.

Concerning your problem, I think I'd do with finishing the first story and posting the sequel later.
Haha. I like that. Superman Interruptus. Sounds like a good name for a fic wink

One of the very best parts of these arch of episodes is the meeting between Mr. Stern and Perry White played by James Earl Jones and Lane Smith. These two world-class actors honed their skills on stage and screen and it shows abundantly! How I wish Mr. Stern appeared in other episodes. Watching them argue over modernizing the paper would have been a joy to behold. At least Perry would not have had to worry about some little twerp called Chip taking over his position. Seriously, have a presence like Mr. Stern around would have been a reminder to all of us that sadly, Perry does not run and own the Planet, that he has to answer to 'the suits upstairs'. Especially when one of his reporters gets out of line. Mr. Stern's powerful presence is a constant reminder of that little fact. Also, does anyone think a creep like Ralph would have been allowed to stay and harass people? Nope.
It would have been nice to see Mr. Stern a little more in season 2, though I believe we had a few references in the first episode of that season? After that, were there any?

Thank you for another wonderful chapter! Jimmy sure had bad timing but I’m happy Lois and Clark are finally talking. I hope Clark tells Lois he’s Superman soon.

Whether you continue this story with the sequel or stick to the original outline and have the sequel as a separate story, either would be sweet. I just can’t wait for more! I love it!

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Part Seventeen is posted and is the second last chapter! hyper I hope to have the last chapter posted by next weekend. Enjoy!
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 11/15/21 01:26 PM
“Henderson! Can you help me. I just want to sign whatever paperwork I need to so I can get rid of those bags. I don’t want them; I don’t want to see them. Then, Clark and I have some questions for you.”

“Clark?” Henderson asked. “He’s here?”

Lois became annoyed as Henderson started to look past her into the waiting area for Clark. “No, he’s outside, parking my Jeep. Apparently there are no parking spaces out there… Hey!” She exclaimed, as without a word, Henderson took off through the entrance doors.

Hmmm, somehow I forgot to comment on this excellent part! shock A great deal happened. The breakfast at the café, which of course was interrupted by a jubilant Jimmy and recalcitrant Jack. Oh, how I wish that had been part of the original episode. It made a lot more sense than what was originally presented. Than the discussion between Perry and Franklin Stern. Again, how I wish that we could have seen a much longer version simply for the joy of watching two world-class actors work together without chewing the scenery. Stern had a definite 'game plan' revolving around purchasing the Daily Planet. The centerpiece being Lois and Clark writing the definitive articles on the House of Luthor. Brilliant! Finally the conversation in the Jeep between Lois and Clark. Such a cleansing level of honesty would not have happened in a crowded café. Both of them would have had their defenses up.

Now Henderson leaves Lois to talk with Clark? Should be a VERY interesting conversation. Hey, why did Lois want to leave her bags? Where they full of gifts from her late fiancé?

Happy Monday everyone!
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 12/04/21 08:43 PM
So sorry for the delay! It's been a busy few weeks with a concert, and then the memorial for my husbands parents. Lots of travel, several timezones later and then a week of crazy work.

This was supposed to be the last chapter, but it was so big, I've had to split it up. I also have a strange, strong dislike of uneven chapter numbers so the idea of having the last chapter as 19 was bothering me.

Thank you Morgana for your feedback blush

Part Eighteen is posted.
Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 12/05/21 03:54 AM
^_^ So Clark now knows Henderson at least suspects. Glad Lois is supporting Clark and showing some patience.
Looking forward to when Superman goes to see Henderson wink
Posted By: bakasi Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 12/05/21 09:20 AM
Great to see another chapter of this story. It's good to see that Lois picks up on Clark's discomfort, though I really wish he'd talk to her.
Posted By: Toomi8 Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 01/01/22 10:25 PM
The final chapter is here!

Thank you for all your comments and encouragement over the last 10 months!
Posted By: Songbird Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 01/02/22 05:28 AM
It was nice starting 2022 with the final chapter but I’m hoping the sequel is coming soon! I need more! I liked how you handled Henderson knowing the secret and I’m glad Clark is okay with it. Hopefully Clark’s visit with his parents will help to heal some of his trauma. Henderson is right that Clark needs to talk to someone. Hopefully Lois can eventually be that someone or maybe this is a case where they can help heal each other since they both carry Luthor scars. I’ve enjoyed this story! Thank you!

Posted By: Blueowl Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 01/03/22 02:23 AM
So happy Clark now has a peer he can talk to and trust with all sides of himself. I also hope he takes Henderson up on the offer and calls that number on the card. I'd be very curious to see how that conversation goes. I think it would do Clark a lot of good.

Anyway, glad all of their lives are back on an even keel now, and yeah, Superman should probably apologize before he needs to rescue Lois again. Which means he should prolly do it before the weekend.... He's already taken a risk in waiting as long as he has smirk

Thanks for the story laugh
Posted By: Queen of the Capes Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 01/06/22 03:46 PM
clap I liked this story, but now I'm anxious to see how Lois and Clark's relationship unfolds without his immediate retraction of his feelings. What will he say to her as Superman? Will he see Bill's psychiatrist? Will he go as Superman or Clark? Or will he tell the doctor he's both? How will the sessions go? Will he still struggle with PTSD?

There's a lot of room for a sequel, and I hope you'll grant us one.
Posted By: Morgana Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 01/06/22 10:19 PM
In the beginning it was a long and bumpy road for Clark and all our favorite characters but in the end everything came out for the best! As Queen of the Capes said, there is plenty of room for a sequel. I for one really appreciated the budding friendship between Bill Henderson and Clark. It was very gracious of him to tell 'Superman' about contacting a trauma counselor. Clark needs that kind of specialized help. He cannot always depend on his parents to be a listening ear.

So happy you wrote this story! Again, welcome back!
Posted By: Penny_Lane Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 05/09/22 03:30 AM
Toomi8,
I read this story after seeing your reference in the “favoritest fic” thread. Congratulations on producing a fresh new and interesting perspective on the HoL episode. I really liked your more realistic dive into the traumatic impact on Clark and to perhaps a lesser extent, Lois also. Good job with both. thumbsup

I found the tale very engaging from the start. Henderson’s expanded role improved the story while efficiently advancing the plot in my opinion. I prefer the stories where a few trusted people know about the secret identity. It actually enriches Clark’s character in various aspects.

And Perry seemed to be everywhere—doing everything he does best! Great job of characterization of all the supporting roles. clap

As difficult as it was to live through the physical & emotional trials facing Clark; it was equally, or more so, heartbreaking to sense the pain Lois encountered. Her lack of a support system really emphasizes her desperate need for Clark Kent. Her interactions with Martha really drove this point home. notworthy

I found your take on resolving some of the fractured relationship issues much more satisfying! You left us in a much better place than the TV episode! However, I do hope to see that sequel at some point in the near future.

Thanks for sharing your work. Hope to see more!
Posted By: PuffyTiger Re: FDK - Aftershocks - 07/25/22 08:47 PM
I can't believe I'd forgotten about this fic! I always have to wait until they are finished to read them, but by then the longer ones have often been buried several pages back in the toc list. That's my only excuse...

But, I was trolling back through the toc and catching up on shorts I hadn't read when I found this again! Just finished reading it and really enjoyed it. You captured very well Clark's pain and struggles, both physically and mentally, and had a realistic progression of healing for him. I liked how the open, sunny farm was just what he needed to counteract the dark cage.

I always enjoy Clark having more friends that he can be himself with. Henderson often seems like a great choice.

I also hope that the sequel still in the works!
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards